How often do chickens molt?

I think some main factors in molting are when they were born, how much they eat, and the individual itself. Since my chicks arrived in September, they started molting a few weeks after we put them in their coop. They were about, 5-6 weeks at the time. How long it takes for them to molt can depend on that individual and/or how much protein they get. Feathers take up a lot of protein. Molting is one of the most stressful times for them depending on how hard their molt is. As far as it being painful, I would imagine it would be just like having your hair fall out unless another chicken purposely pulls it out. If they have a hard molt in the fall/winter and are almost bare, then you really need to make sure the chicken stays warm. I read on here that someone else's chicken took 2 months to grow back all of her feathers. Oh, and also, while a chicken is molting, they do not lay eggs.

Hope this helped!
smile.png

Last edited:
Generally they go through there first full molt (other than losing chick feathers and growing adult feathers) the fall after their first full spring. In other words, chickens hatched this spring generally won't go through a full molt until the fall of 2009. Keep in mind this does not always old true for all birds, in fact I still have some spring of 2007 hens that have not molted yet. Sure wish they would they look a little ragged.

Mine were hatched August last year. I've had one or two losing some feathers now (within the last month)- one lost all her feathers on her chest, neck and tummy and the whole tail gone.

Last edited:
All I know is that when my girls go into molt, it looks like someone had a huge pillowfight in the coop!!
lol.png

I used to think it was only once a year, but I swear both of my Millies have molted twice this year, and they're over 2 years old.
hmm.png

You know what's funny...... well I don't know if its really "funny". But I had no idea chickens molted like this. I mean, I've had chickens off and on for a couple years now and never had one do it before now. Now some of my layers look like someone put duct tape on them and ripped it off. LOL All I see is a rough looking down on their backs. They were gorgous when I got them too. Its been close to a month now I'd say. Wish they'd refeather already! Oh and mine are still laying!

Back
Top Bottom