How Often to Feed Egg Shells

I am another who thinks egg shells don't provide quite as much calcium as oyster shell.  I offer it in a separate container and they eat layer feed, just nibbling on the oyster shell when they need to. But I do like to boil up any older eggs I have in the fridge, crush 'em up shells and all, and give those to the girls a couple of times a week.  Granted, with a lot more chickens I probably have more older eggs - eggs that I don't want to sell because they are more than 2 weeks old.  

For me the bonus of doing this is that they get the egg shells, but they also get the protein from the eggs and I like that this time of year since many of mine are currently molting.  I have never had a single "egg eating" issue doing this.  What I toss in their pen has no resemblance to what they are leaving behind in the nest, so it hasn't caused any bad habits.  I usually boil them up and when they're cool I put them in a plastic grocery bag, twist it shut  and pop it back in the fridge.  When I'm ready to feed them, I tuck that bag into a second grocery bag so I have a double layer, lay them on the countertop, and start "smushing" with my hands.  Once the shells have been cracked, it's like kneading bread.  Doesn't take long and they are all crushed up and ready for the girls.  They love 'em.

I feed mine old and any less than desirable eggs as well. Hard boiled, cooled, and then into an old blender. Sometimes I'll mix in some veggies or other treats if they around, along with any egg shells. Reduces everything to crumbles so there is no resemblance to a whole egg. Once a week normally. But in my case the calcium in the shell is a bonus, the main purpose is to recycle the egg protein to offset feed.

To answer the original question hens should have access to a calcium source at all times, unless their diet specifically has enough. I feed layer feed most of the time that has calcium, they also have oyster shell available. If you are providing the egg shell as a supplement leave it in a bowl they have access to, they will self regulate.

@Blooie WOW!!! Beautiful view
love.gif

And my bad about where you live, I see that now under your profile picture LOL!

Exactly! I've heard to feed them cat food, or tuna or some such. But I have the eggs, eggs are considered animal protein, so what the heck! I'm basically a very lazy person, so whatever I can do to kill two birds with one stone (figuratively speaking, of course) I'm all over it. I worry about too much protein being hard on kidneys and such, so I'm content. How's that working for you? Do you find that they feather back faster? Any other issues or benefits with the gamebird chow?

BOSS is black oil sunflower seeds, Stephanie R.
I did fail to mention that I also feed a few pounds of fodder each day along with the grit and calcium always available. I have 2 EEs that are just about finished with their molts and several more in the process. Also, my one of my Welsummers is looking quite pitiful, lol. I'll have to post a shameful picture.
tongue.png
The coop stink is noticeably more stinky but its about time for a coop clean out anyway. The reason I picked that food is because it's the only feed I could find that actually still had "animal protein" as an ingredient. I was feeding a 20% feed, but like almost all other feeds, animal proteins have been removed.

I feed mine old and any less than desirable eggs as well. Hard boiled, cooled, and then into an old blender. Sometimes I'll mix in some veggies or other treats if they around, along with any egg shells. Reduces everything to crumbles so there is no resemblance to a whole egg. Once a week normally. But in my case the calcium in the shell is a bonus, the main purpose is to recycle the egg protein to offset feed.

To answer the original question hens should have access to a calcium source at all times, unless their diet specifically has enough. I feed layer feed most of the time that has calcium, they also have oyster shell available. If you are providing the egg shell as a supplement leave it in a bowl they have access to, they will self regulate.
Honestly, I've wondered about how much of the feed that they waste :/ And thinking maybe they aren't getting the nutrients they need from the feed because so much is in the "fines". Frustrating. I have done a mash from time to time with the fines, but not sure they are getting the daily amount of what they need?

I did fail to mention that I also feed a few pounds of fodder each day along with the grit and calcium always available. I have 2 EEs that are just about finished with their molts and several more in the process. Also, my one of my Welsummers is looking quite pitiful, lol. I'll have to post a shameful picture.
tongue.png
The coop stink is noticeably more stinky but its about time for a coop clean out anyway. The reason I picked that food is because it's the only feed I could find that actually still had "animal protein" as an ingredient. I was feeding a 20% feed, but like almost all other feeds, animal proteins have been removed.
The coop stink- Is that from the molting?

You're welcome! And before I say anymore, when I say things in thread like these they are just the things that I do...doesn't mean they are always accurate, or the only way, or that I'm telling anyone what to do. I'm just telling you the way I feed or whatever - ultimately the choice is up to each of the individual owners and what's right for their schedules, their goals, their locations, their needs, and their flocks.
wink.png

You're welcome!  And before I say anymore, when I say things in thread like these they are just the things that I do...doesn't mean they are always accurate, or the only way, or that I'm telling anyone what to do.  I'm just telling you the way I feed or whatever - ultimately the choice is up to each of the individual owners and what's right for their schedules, their goals, their locations, their needs, and their flocks. ;)
I'm the type of person that tries to listen and learn things from people with experience. Your information is very valuable as is a lot of others with experience. Thanks so much for your help. Makes it easier on newbies like me. This site is amazing!

Back
Top Bottom