How old do my chickens have to be before they start laying?

Purpleseabreeze

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 15, 2014
Queensland, Australia
I have 3 pekin bantam chickens that are 6 months old, there combs are red and seem to have stopped growing but they haven't laid an egg yet? They are free range most days and I have 2 Rhode Island reds that are over 12 months old only one of them lays and n:rolleyes:ot every day. So my point is the bantams have seen the eggs my big girl lays but I haven't had an egg from them yet, are they still too young? And why doesn't my other big girl lay? I adopted my two big girls this January 2014 I've never had an egg from her, I put it down to she's retired but the other girl lays most days give or take. :/

If you want to know when they will lay, then check thier pelvis bones. Put the chicken in your hand and feel it's rear end. If you feel three prominent bones close together, then do not expect eggs for a few weeks, if the bones have separated, then expect eggs soon.

It is also possible that they are hiding their eggs from you or that a pest is eating their eggs.
Good luck!
smile.png

If you want to know when they will lay, then check thier pelvis bones. Put the chicken in your hand and feel it's rear end. If you feel three prominent bones close together, then do not expect eggs for a few weeks, if the bones have separated, then expect eggs soon.

It is also possible that they are hiding their eggs from you or that a pest is eating their eggs.
Good luck!
smile.png

Cackleberry has given you some good advice.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help my chicken? She was coughing a couple of months ago but came good and now she's doing it again but this time looks like she's gasping for air, but not all the time? I've put apple cider vinegar in her water and given her garlic spread on bread does anyone have any idea what she may be suffering from? :(

I'm sure she liked the apple juice and the garlic on bread but, neither will help her if she is gasping. Please post in detail, her age, symptoms, how long ago it started, etc. at
"emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures, thread." She may have a respiratory ailment, or gapeworms which is serious - if not treated. Or maybe she swallowed something that irritated her throat or got stuck partway down.

Have you been using any new products around her? Has your land been sprayed with fertilizer or pesticides. There are really a dozen things she could have or not. It takes detective work and a keen eye for things that " aren't right" about her.

Back
Top Bottom