How old for oyster shells?

LER23

Songster
Aug 21, 2023
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Fiirst time henmother here!

I have 4, 12 to 14 weeks old: 1 leghorn, 1 olive egger and 2 production blue.

To complicate things, I have 2 six week old cream legbars in the coop and chicken run with the older girls. 6 wk olds have their own water and feeding station but are free to roam and can get into the inside feeder. They can't get into the outside feeder yet, as it is a hair too tall for them.

I am looking for the age at which I should start adding oyster or egg shells to the diet, and whether I have to be cocerned about the younger ones eating shells too soon.

You don't need to put it out until the girls are close to laying. Signs of that: Red combs and wattles (instead of pink) and the skin in their faces will get red too. Some will squat, as if inviting a rooster to mate. Mine never did that.

You can put out a dish of oyster shell and crushed egg shells pretty much any time. The non-laying birds might sample it (my pullets have), but until they need it, they probably won't eat much. They "know" when they need it.

A lot of people here feed an all flock or flock raiser feed that is higher in protein (18-20%) instead of a layer formula. Layer feed has the needed calcium in it, but is lower in protein. The younger birds and any cockerels or roosters do not need that level of calcium. Long term, it can lead to health issues. Having the oyster shell and egg shell on the side in a separate bowl solves this problem.

You don't need to put it out until the girls are close to laying. Signs of that: Red combs and wattles (instead of pink) and the skin in their faces will get red too. Some will squat, as if inviting a rooster to mate. Mine never did that.

You can put out a dish of oyster shell and crushed egg shells pretty much any time. The non-laying birds might sample it (my pullets have), but until they need it, they probably won't eat much. They "know" when they need it.

A lot of people here feed an all flock or flock raiser feed that is higher in protein (18-20%) instead of a layer formula. Layer feed has the needed calcium in it, but is lower in protein. The younger birds and any cockerels or roosters do not need that level of calcium. Long term, it can lead to health issues. Having the oyster shell and egg shell on the side in a separate bowl solves this problem.
Thanks! I went to the feed store after posing this question and talked to staff there. They were of the same opinion. So I bought all flock feed and will be transitioning them to it. I'll be picking up oyster shell tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom