How old for the roosters first crow?

sheeshshe

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
What age is the latest it would take for a potential rooster to start crowing? I have one that is 13 weeks old and no crowing yet, but the comb is pretty developed. How late do I wait to determine whether it is a female or a male? When to the hackle and saddle feathers start developing?

My Barred Rock Rooster, Brutus, attempted yesterday at 6:30 am. He is around 12 weeks. I didn't notice him this morning. This being my first go at chickens I was wondering if he will crow daily until he figures it out, or is it kind of hit or miss until he's ready? Will they crow around the same time every morning? Do barred roo's crow all day at various times as my DHs RIR did as a child? Don't mean to hijack post just curious as well!

roosters crow all day long. all my neighbors did anyways!

OK, so it could potentially not happen for another 5 or so weeks if it is going to happen. what about the hackle and saddle feathers though?

Anywhere from a couple of DAYS old to upwards of a year old. The youngest here was 4 days old. The oldest so far was 25 weeks old, a heritage Barred Rock.

I'm sure we can tell you if it's male or female now, though, no waiting required. It should already have saddle feathers coming in. My current 11 week old cockerel has a nice fringe already.

Last edited:
My bantam roo crowed for the first time at 9 weeks. It was about 10 a.m., (long after the sun came up!) I've heard him a few times since between 10 - 11 a.m. and around 7:30 p.m. Dear lord, if he crows all day long my neighbors will complain!!

This is Melon :) Either a rooster or just well endowed LOL. I don't see any saddle feathers, but then again I am not doing this on a daily basis like most of you :) this is only my second batch of chicks and I don't get them straight run.

My Buff Orpington, Rodney tried his first crow this past Tuesday at 5:30 am or that's when I heard him as I went to the barn to let them out to free range for the day. He's going on 2 1/2 months of age. Worst crow I've ever heard.
lau.gif
I've not heard him try it since!
hu.gif
I have three roosters all the same age and he's the only one who's tried crowing so far.

Back
Top Bottom