How old is my Pekin Duck?

xmush1620x

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2015
We just bought 2 lady and 1 drake pekin ducks, but we have no idea how old they are and they aren't laying - we've searched everywhere. They are free ranged with a large pond that they stay near or in 24/7. I have literally scoured every inch of our property and there is nothing. I'm certain they aren't laying...unless the eggs are plopping in the pond! How can I tell how old they are, to determine if they aren't old enough to be even laying at this point?

Welcome!

Photo's would help a little - and they will drop their eggs in the pond. Not all of them, but a good many of them do lay in the water.

So have you thought about predator protection?

Last edited:

Age is difficult to tell on an adult duck, especially a duck that doesn't change plumage color as they get older, like a pekin. I have a pekin that I'm not sure the age of, I was given a rough estimate of two or three years from the person who gave her to me. As for the not laying, if you just got these ducks, it may take some time before the females feel comfortable enough in their new home to start laying. Moving a duck is very stressful for them, and they often stop laying completely. My Peking started laying about 3-4wks after I got her, and before I got her, her previous owner said she was laying an egg a day. If yours dont start laying after a few weeks, it could be that they're too young to lay (under four-six months) or that they're just taking their winter break and will start up again next spring. That's the best answer I can give you. It's just really hard to say how old they are. Unless someone else knows a better method for telling the age of an adult duck. I've only been raising ducks for a year so I'm not that seasoned, lol.

There are numerous ways to shelter ducks. If they are new, they are going to go through an adjustment. Please look around on the duck forum - you can find all kinds of ways people have to keep their ducks as safe as possible.

We have a coop, but they absolutely refuse to go in it and it took us about 5 hours to catch them whenough they got out. We have our property fenced, but a Bobcat got one the other day (we saved it) so the threat is real, but again, the were not raised in a coop and running around hurting themselves they hated it so much.

Anyways, uploading photos for ages.

There are numerous ways to shelter ducks.  If they are new, they are going to go through an adjustment.  Please look around on the duck forum - you can find all kinds of ways people have to keep their ducks as safe as possible.

Not sure if you read my post... They won't go in coops/shelters. So why would I keep building them? It took us 5 hours to catch them! We have housing...they have never been in shelter and don't exactly let you pick them up or get near them or follow you anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom