how old is too old

barredcountrycoop

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Louisiana
I've had some barred rock hens and a roo for three years. I know that's too long but they were mainly for eggs and have laid very consistantly for almost three years. They finally slacked up so I put two in the freezer and am going to put the other two in tomorrow. Any chance they're fryable or dumplings?

I've had some barred rock hens and a roo for three years. I know that's too long but they were mainly for eggs and have laid very consistantly for almost three years. They finally slacked up so I put two in the freezer and am going to put the other two in tomorrow. Any chance they're fryable or dumplings?
I would try it go ahead and brine them until they lose the rigor in the fridge and then cook them in a crock pot until they fall off the bone. Then you can debone it and add your dumplings to the mix. I think it might taste a bit stronger because the birds are older but a lot of people eat older hens you just have to cook them differently.

Agreed. At 3 years old, the crockpot is defnintely the way to go. They're way too tough to fry. I pressure-can my spent laying hens, but if you're going to do that, you'll want more than 3 birds. It's alot of work for what you get, but definitely worth it!

Back
Top Bottom