How Old & When Do I Stop Feeding Starter?

A bit of a related question... i am planning to integrate my 6 week old chicks with my adult birds sometime in the next few weeks. I understand that the chicks should be eatinggrower and the adult birds are on layer ration. How do i make sure everyone eats the right food when they are in the same coop? Or am i overthinking this?

Month old?
I'm not sure what month they are, that's why I'm asking.
1f605.png

Here is the traditionally suggested feeding of chickens that are being maintained for eggs.

Starter Feeds
Newly hatched chicks ages 0-10 weeks should be fed a chick starter diet with a protein level between 10%-20%. These rations are formulated to provide proper nutrition for growing baby chickens. Higher protein starter rations (22%-24%) are reserved for meat birds such as turkey, quail and pheasant. This higher protein level maximizes growth for broilers and roasters, but is not necessary or desirable for egg laying chickens.

Grower Feeds
At 10 weeks of age, a grower feed should replace the starter feed. Grower feeds are typically 15%-16% protein, and are designed to sustain growth to maturity. The higher protein content (20%), in starter/grower feeds is recommended for growing game birds. (and Turkeys)

Layer Feeds
Layer feeds are designed to provide optimum nutrition for birds laying eggs for consumption. Layer feeds contain 16% protein and have increased levels of Calcium, for proper shell development. Layer feeds should be fed starting around 18 weeks of age, or when the first egg is laid, whichever comes first.

Last edited:
Here is the traditionally suggested feeding of chickens that are being maintained for eggs.

Starter Feeds
Newly hatched chicks ages 0-10 weeks should be fed a chick starter diet with a protein level between 10%-20%. These rations are formulated to provide proper nutrition for growing baby chickens. Higher protein starter rations (22%-24%) are reserved for meat birds such as turkey, quail and pheasant. This higher protein level maximizes growth for broilers and roasters, but is not necessary or desirable for egg laying chickens.

Grower Feeds
At 10 weeks of age, a grower feed should replace the starter feed. Grower feeds are typically 15%-16% protein, and are designed to sustain growth to maturity. The higher protein content (20%), in starter/grower feeds is recommended for growing game birds.

Layer Feeds
Layer feeds are designed to provide optimum nutrition for birds laying eggs for consumption. Layer feeds contain 16% protein and have increased levels of Calcium, for proper shell development. Layer feeds should be fed starting around 18 weeks of age, or when the first egg is laid, whichever comes first.
Very insightful, thanks!

I feed a non medicated starter grower all the time to my bantams. My large flock are fed an all flock. You don't need to switch. You can switch to layer if you wish when most are laying, or you can just put out a dish of oyster shells. Layer often doesn't have enough protein for backyard flocks that are given lots of treats. Scratch is considered a treat to give them something to peck and scratch at, it's usually tossed on the ground for them to find.

Back
Top Bottom