How risky is buying hatching eggs this time of year?

Oh, no! Hope they still hatch or you. Have you been in contact with the seller? I thought Priority Mail was supposed to be 3 days max.
I have contacted the seller and made them aware of the situation. We'll see have happens. I thought for sure they would be delivered today, Monday...... But the USPS just delivered the mail and their was no eggs. Tracking number still says it is in transit from the last known departure that was Cleveland Ohio on Friday, November 27th. This is really turning into the worst case scenario with probably 8 days, with hopefully a Tuesday deliver, with the USPS
sad.png

Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. I ordered some eggs and they arrived a day later than they were supposed to. I have them in the incubator right now. They're due to hatch on Saturday. Hopefully you will get them tomorrow! I know exactly how you feel! It's so frustrating! On a positive note, these eggs came from New Jersey, so I know it's been cold up there. I've been candling mine and most of them are developing, so you should get some fertile eggs out of it. Good luck!

Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. I ordered some eggs and they arrived a day later than they were supposed to. I have them in the incubator right now. They're due to hatch on Saturday. Hopefully you will get them tomorrow! I know exactly how you feel! It's so frustrating! On a positive note, these eggs came from New Jersey, so I know it's been cold up there. I've been candling mine and most of them are developing, so you should get some fertile eggs out of it. Good luck!
Thanks for the words of encouragement. It appears a black hole opened up between Ohio and Utah an swallowed the package of eggs. No one knows where it is. I talked to the seller and they are going to ship another batch of eggs out on Dec. 8th. So far, I have been really impressed with how the seller is handling it.

So, add that to the list of the many things that could happen this time of year to eggs. They can freeze, be cracked by rough handling, black holes making them disappear, etc...
smile.png

So, It's COLD outside. But I want to try hatching some chicks. Is it realistic that if I order hatching eggs, this time of year, that any would survive?
Also, what should i look for in a seller to have the best chance of healthy chicks?
Thanks for any advice/info.

In my life i have ordered and shipped eggs either from or to most areas East of the Mississippi River and some areas to the West. The biggest problem is the physical insults that hatching eggs are exposed to during shipping, not necessarily the weather. In fact warm temps in my experience may be worse than cold. If there is any way that you can do so, pick up the eggs or arrange for someone to pick them up for you. Also, I don't think that the hens and roosters are fully recovered yet from the rigors of the molt.

Will eggs hatch in spite of these things? Sure but you are only hurting your chances if everything is not perfect or nearly so because shipped eggs start at a disadvantage.

Good luck.

0.jpg

Last edited:
In my life i have ordered and shipped eggs either from or to most areas East of the Mississippi River and some areas to the West. The biggest problem is the physical insults that hatching eggs are exposed to during shipping, not necessarily the weather. In fact warm temps in my experience may be worse than cold. If there is any way that you can do so, pick up the eggs or arrange for someone to pick them up for you. Also, I don't think that the hens and roosters are fully recovered yet from the rigors of the molt.

Will eggs hatch in spite of these things? Sure but you are only hurting your chances if everything is not perfect or nearly so because shipped eggs start at a disadvantage.

Good luck.

0.jpg
Good to hear your take on it. Thanks!

Interesting.... I got my ORIGINAL order of 24 eggs today. 15 days after it shipped. I now have another problem. The seller shipped another 24 eggs yesterday because of the delay. So, now I have way too many eggs for the given incubator space. I am putting priority on the "newer" eggs but I still hate to waste the others. Hmmmm.... I got to figure something out.

Interesting.... I got my ORIGINAL order of 24 eggs today. 15 days after it shipped. I now have another problem. The seller shipped another 24 eggs yesterday because of the delay. So, now I have way too many eggs for the given incubator space. I am putting priority on the "newer" eggs but I still hate to waste the others. Hmmmm.... I got to figure something out.
Can't wait to hear how it all turns out!

I did the same thing. With me, none of the older eggs hatched, but I had only one of the newer eggs hatch. I did buy another incubator, but didn't do my homework... So I bought a LG Still Air and I refuse to use it! It would be 99.5 in the middle and 93 at the corner. It's too unstable!! (my Farm Innovator 4200 is great!) I wish you the best of luck. Out of 13 eggs so far, only one has hatched and this little peanut will be spoiled to pieces! Let us know how it works out, or at least me, because I do want to know!!!! Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom