How should fertile eggs be stored till incubating?

FFA 4-H Raised

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2015
I need a run down of how to store eggs till setting them. As I collected them I was going to put them on an egg rotator (like take it out of the incubator and set it on a table) in a shed that the heat kicks on at 40 degrees so the temp in there stays right around there (I don't know what humidity it stays at). What do you guys think about this?

Sounds great. I store then in the egg turners too but my storage temperatures are about 15 degrees Fahrenheit warmer than the ideal, not cooler.

You might want to read this. I consider parts of it way over the top, but it gives you ideal conditions to aim for. Some of the stuff in there is very important, like storing the eggs pointy side down. But a lot are more guidelines, giving you the ideal target to aim for but if you are off some it is usually not a big deal. Just do the best you reasonably can and you will probably do pretty well.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/...e-Cartwright-Incubating-and-hatching-eggs.pdf

The further you are from the ideal the more chance of something going wrong, but there is not going to be much of a drop-off in hatchability, if any, storing them at 40 or 70, depending on how long you store them. But one of the goals not mentioned in that write-up is that fluctuating temperatures are not good. You want to maintain as stable a temperature as you can. Again, that is a guideline, just do the best you reasonably can.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom