How should I handle baby quail to get them used to me?

ItsOxide

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2023
Heyo. Recently, my buddy asked me if I wanted to take some baby quail from him since he knew I had been interested in getting some. I know how to feed them and take care of them, but I don’t know how to get them used to me. They aren’t imprinted on me, and usually run when I get close to the cage, they just all huddle in a corner. I was wondering if this is just natural for quail babies, and what I could do to get them a little more attached to me. I’ve been trying to pick them up with an open hand but they don’t seem to like it. Any advice?

Gambels are not particularly domesticated, so you're probably best not trying to handle or pick them up. They will get used to you if you don't act like a predator, though, and will eventually realize that you are the source of food and water.

The best thing would to spend as much time as you can near them. Move slowly, and let them see you give food and water.

Gambels are not particularly domesticated, so you're probably best not trying to handle or pick them up. They will get used to you if you don't act like a predator, though, and will eventually realize that you are the source of food and water.

The best thing would to spend as much time as you can near them. Move slowly, and let them see you give food and water.
Hmm ok, would hand feeding be a good option… if they let me

Alright, I’ll pick ‘em up less and maybe just sit near them for a while until they stop running from me, I’m sure it will take some time though

They probably won't let you. If you read, grab a book and sit with them. If you hang around in a non threatening way, they'll get calmer. They are birds, though, and prey animals, so they will probably never like being picked up.
Gotcha. Thanks for the information.

I've had mine for about 2.5 weeks now, and they improved a lot when I stopped trying to pick them up (nevermind my profile pic, that was Day 2, lol). They're much less afraid of me now, they don't pop around as much when I'm cleaning the brooder or when I have my hands in there, and I even got them to take some food out of my hand the other day. I decided that getting them to see my hands as bringers of good things (food, clean water, etc.) and not bad things (being grabbed/picked up) was most important in the short term. Taming super flighty prey animals is all about patience, I'm learning. If/when they're ready to be closer to me, I figure they'll let me know on their own terms. And if not, well, that's what my dog/cats are for 😆

I've had mine for about 2.5 weeks now, and they improved a lot when I stopped trying to pick them up (nevermind my profile pic, that was Day 2, lol). They're much less afraid of me now, they don't pop around as much when I'm cleaning the brooder or when I have my hands in there, and I even got them to take some food out of my hand the other day. I decided that getting them to see my hands as bringers of good things (food, clean water, etc.) and not bad things (being grabbed/picked up) was most important in the short term. Taming super flighty prey animals is all about patience, I'm learning. If/when they're ready to be closer to me, I figure they'll let me know on their own terms. And if not, well, that's what my dog/cats are for 😆
Thanks for the good advice. This is really good to know.

Back
Top Bottom