How should I start this

well got home from work yesterday only to find Rita not on the eggs I gave her but in the nesting box on the eggs rest of the girls laid there infertile eggs LOL so I gave her a talking to and set her on the right eggs..(told her this was last chance ) this am she was still on the "right " eggs hoping she gets it and will now set and hatch these babies...

Oh I sure hope she stays this time
fl.gif

I have a related question. I have a hen that was a super mom to two chicks that hatched a week after 4 chicks hatched from another broody hen. Mom + 4 are doing great on week 4, Mom+2 decided she was no longer a mom and moved away from the chicks back with the roo. I tried to put the 2 orphans with Mom+4 and that did not work out at all.

1. why did the mom+2 abandon her 2 chicks?
2. is there some special clock that says - its over you are now ready to be on your own?
3 is there any other hen I can put them with - one that is sitting on golf balls? I know they are 3 weeks old but still need some guidance and help from someone.

thanks for any advice.

I have a related question. I have a hen that was a super mom to two chicks that hatched a week after 4 chicks hatched from another broody hen. Mom + 4 are doing great on week 4, Mom+2 decided she was no longer a mom and moved away from the chicks back with the roo. I tried to put the 2 orphans with Mom+4 and that did not work out at all.

1. why did the mom+2 abandon her 2 chicks?
2. is there some special clock that says - its over you are now ready to be on your own?
3 is there any other hen I can put them with - one that is sitting on golf balls? I know they are 3 weeks old but still need some guidance and help from someone.

thanks for any advice.

Some hens are just that way and I think you called it right when you said an internal clock and some hens have a longer clock time then others the norm around here is 4 to 6 weeks ...

Then there are others who have them around for years .....

Back
Top Bottom