How Soon Can Chicks Be Outside?

Sk8inChick(en)

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2011
Hi there.

I have two light Brahma chicks that are about 5 days old. I'm not planning on taking them outside right now, but I am curious as to what age you can start taking them on short "outings." The weather is pretty warm right now, but not exactly ninety degrees.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Not sure where you live, but if you have a nice sunny day with temps above 70's, I'd say put them outside so they can enjoy the grass.
Make sure you watch them closely since they will be food for anything out there.

As young as a week old, I started taking mine out. But you've got to keep an eye on them when they're that small, to make sure they don't get lost. ;)
It's good to give them some outside time, my first group of chicks got to spend their whole day outside from around two weeks of age, but that was summer. :lol:

As young as a week old, I started taking mine out. But you've got to keep an eye on them when they're that small, to make sure they don't get lost.
wink.png

It's good to give them some outside time, my first group of chicks got to spend their whole day outside from around two weeks of age, but that was summer.
lol.png

I'm glad to hear you can take them out if it's warm enough. I did wonder, though if you should give them grit if they are eating anything other than their starter feed.

Thank you so much!

Most people don't give grit for things like worms, but if they're roaming outside they should pick up some grit from the garden on their own. As for other treats, I'm not entirely sure. :idunno

I only know that we've never given our chickens any grit, but ours are free range full time!

My 2 week and 5 day olds were outside for about 7 hours today in a chicken tractor. It was in the mid-70's or so. They had a blast. ;)

I took mine outside to the barn at 2 weeks, before that I had taken them outside in a cage a couple of times, they enjoyed it! And 3 and a half weeks, we penned them up in a little area outside, at 6 weeks they where free range.

I start taking mine outside for short outings after they are 2 weeks old. However, I only take them out if is is sunny, above about 65 degrees, and it is not windy.

They may or may not find grit naturally from the soil depending upon what type of soil you have. I have a combination of loam and clay. They are not going to find anything suitable or grit in my soil. I provide mine a container of chick grit in the brooder when they are about 1 week old. I leave it in there 24 hours a day from then on.

Back
Top Bottom