How soon for grit for duck hatchlings?

A little Daffy

Songster
Jul 26, 2019
South Florida
My two ducks hatched this morning and I've been reading till my brain is fried. I have found a few forums on grit but cannot locate when or how to add grit to their brood. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have some very fine sand in my yard (S. Florida, surprise!) and was planning on using that.

Typically I think you wait till about 2-3 weeks of age till you start giving chick grit to ducklings (this is what I use). Until then you can sprinkle some brewer's yeast over their food to help them digest things and give them an extra boost of niacin.

My two ducks hatched this morning and I've been reading till my brain is fried. I have found a few forums on grit but cannot locate when or how to add grit to their brood. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have some very fine sand in my yard (S. Florida, surprise!) and was planning on using that.
You don't actually need grit unless they're eating something other than commercial feed.
Usually when my ducks are a few weeks old I will give them little bits of chopped grass or weeds. That's when I introduce grit as well.

You don't actually need grit unless they're eating something other than commercial feed.
Usually when my ducks are a few weeks old I will give them little bits of chopped grass or weeds. That's when I introduce grit as well.
Thanks, Isadora! Since they were born at 6am this morning I have them on reg. starter commercial feed.

Back
Top Bottom