How the heck do I get rid of fire ants inside the chicken run?? 😱😱😱

Pics

Jld13

Songster
Apr 12, 2021
I’ve been battling against all different kinds of ants and I’m losing the fight, especially the fire ants!! I shovel the feed that falls almost daily and have recently changed to a pellet feed/new feeder which does help some. I see them all over the ground and don’t want my feather babies compromised. It’s so hot here in the desert that I do mist the run several times a day, so that gives them (ants) water 🙄 I only gives treats now by hand and pick up any that they didn’t eat. What the heck can I do? I see the fire ant mounds starting inside the run versus outside. I’ve done gallons of vinegar and used diatomaceous earth without success. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

You have to find the mound and kill it with pet safe fire ant dust.
Yes I have used this for years in the chicken run and outside of it where my dogs play. Never have had an issue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 74
Ok thanks. I’ll go try that!
Boiling water will work temporarily / but it will not reach down as far as you need to go to kill the queen. Once her top workers start dying, she will start reproducing like crazy and within a week or so a new mound will appear close to the old one. So this may work temporarily, but you must kill the queen in order to kill the whole mound.

Back
Top Bottom