How to administer Panacur orally using syringe

Kay Kew

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2016
I am looking for advice on a good technique for administering oral medication to bantam hens who are not used to being handled at all. I am catching them by lifting them off their roosting perches at night, putting them in boxes and dosing them using a syringe in the morning. My problem is that it is very hard to get them to open their beaks so that the syringe can be put in far enough. I wrap them in a towel too. I have had someone to help today, but will have to manage single handed soon! Any suggestions? Thanks

It helps to open the beak by grasping the wattles or or below the beak, squirting in a drop or two at a time, then releasing the wattles with each drop to let them swallow. Panacur (fenbendazole) doseage is 1/4 ml per pound of weight, given orally for 3-5 days to get the most difficult worms.

Thanks very much for that helpful information. I tried that method and it seems to help alright. By the way, I seem to have set up two threads with the same title, because when I submitted the first one, I thought it hadn't gone through as I hadn't logged in or something, so maybe the two could be amalgamated?? Apologies! As I mentioned in a reply on the other version of the thread, I was a bit concerned about getting some of the Panacur into the trachea by mistake, and your suggestion of putting the dose in a couple of drops at a time seems like a very good one. They get 0.4ml Panacur each per dose over 5 consecutive days. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom