How to attach chain link and chicken wire?

countrygirl86

Songster
Apr 4, 2014
We are nearing completion of our coop and will start on the run soon. I have metal fence posts, sections of chain link and chicken wire to use. The run will be 12x20, 6-8ft tall and enclosed on all sides. My plan was to cover the entire thing with chicken wire and have the chain link around the bottom coming up about 4ft (?). The fence will be buried in the ground as well. The chicks will be in the coop at night which will be secured with hardwar cloth so I am only worried about daytime predators. My question is what is the best way to close the seams, connect together, the chain link and the chicken wire. I want something sturdy so I don't want to use wire ties, and zip ties weather and break over time. I was looking at hog rings but I am not sure if they would be strong enough. Any suggestions? What have you used?

Last edited:
I think I am learning towards hog rings but if I can't find them or if they are substantially more expensive I will look into the uv protected zip ties. Thank you

We use hog rings for lots of projects - anything where it doesn't have to be cinched down tight as there will be a bit of play.

We added a row of chicken wire inside the run and the hog rings worked great attaching it. As you go you kind of figure out the best places to put them so that it creates the most tension when they are closed.

When we put down a horizontal piece of wire inside our dog's pen to keep him from digging out, we used hog rings to attach it to the fence. Still holding strong.

We still occasionally "miss", but not too often. You can get them in bulk places (online) but we normally just buy them by the 100 for around $3-4.

Now if I could just find them. I stopped at the hardware store (huge national chain) on the way home. When I asked the employee in the hardware department where I could find hog rings he looked at me like I had 2 heads lol!

Now if I could just find them. I stopped at the hardware store (huge national chain) on the way home. When I asked the employee in the hardware department where I could find hog rings he looked at me like I had 2 heads lol!
Really?

I've gotten them at Ace Hardware and at Tractor Supply.

They have them at the Home Depot near hear. Pretty sure they are with the chainlink fence supplies, but you can always see what aisle they're on if you use their website.

For example: http://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-12-5-Gauge-Chain-Link-Hog-Rings-200-Pack-328604C/204510285 at the Granbury, TX Home Depot is Aisle 20, bay 002.

Pliers there too http://www.homedepot.com/p/YARDGARD-Galvanized-Hog-Ring-Pliers-328750A/100322457

I stopped at Lowes. After I explained what it was he looked it up and said it would have to be special ordered. We are going to a local Amish owned supply store tomorrow so I will see if they have them. The Tractor Supply closest to me doesn't seem to stock much. They don't even carry chick grit. I think the closest Home Depot is about 45 minutes away. I guess we are limited on options.

Back
Top Bottom