How to attach Hardware cloth?

The best way I found to fasten hardware cloth to wood is lath screws. I use #8 3/4" Teks lath screws from Home Depot, $5.24 for 200 of them.

I see no way that any predator could pull a 3/4" screw out of wood. Might could happen, I just don't see how. This is so much faster than nailing in small
fencing staples (and less frustrating too), and much more secure than the staple gun route.

Hmmm - been mulling this one myself. So, if I were going the route of 2 pieces of wood around the hardware cloth, could I use regular staples to fasten the mesh to the 1st piece of wood, and then use deck screws THROUGH the mesh and into the other piece of wood?

I'm thinking that it would work, since the staples (regular, not poultry) are just holding the wire in place until the screws are in - wouldn't the screws help hold the wire in, and the wood on top prevent the staples from being pulled out? I'd have to make sure and run the hardware cloth a good distance down the wood, prolly half-way down the cedar 2x6 that will be the base, and use a decent length of staple - not the little 1/4" guys.

Am I on the right track here?

Thanks for your reply. If nothing else, they seem easy enough and cheap enough to replace. I also like the idea of using pennies or bottle caps, much cheaper than the fender washers which I found to be 23 cents each.

Hi! I am building a semi-permanent coop and I need some suggestions for how to attach the hardware cloth. All the coops I have seen here have nice, straight, and tight cloth.

I have tried a staple gun, but I was just wondering if there were any other stronger/more durable suggestions.

Fender washers and screws. At a Big Box lumber yard fender washers cost me 8 cents each.

Last edited:
Poultry staples, then covered the edges with pine trim, nailed on, through the hardware cloth.

900x900px-LL-f52d3bc5_55557_img_1349.jpeg

I just finished my hardware cloth instal this weekend. I used fender washer and 1-1/4" self drilling outdoor wood screws. I couldnt find 3/4". 100 screws and washers runs $15 at Ace. I did have a problem with the cloth bunching towards the end so i just put in more screws. Even with slight gaps it is really strong. I also put the cloth on the outside of the coop and on the inside of the doors so my ladies would gunk up the door jam too quickly.

Self drilling = so much easier that hammering staples, which was what i was going to do until i read some BYC.

Back
Top Bottom