How to avoid Protien spots in eggs?

muddler6

Songster
12 Years
Sep 12, 2007
Jefferson County, PA
Hello,
My New Hampshire Reds are laying eggs like crazy finally, right as they hit 6 months old, anyhow, several of my eggs have had small brown spots in them, I have been told these are called "Protien Spots". Is there a way to prevent them? or just deal with it? I want to sell my surplus eggs to the neighbors who have been asking for them since the chickens were peeps, I don't want this to turn them away from buying my eggs. Suggestions?????

Usually they are called meat spots. I don't think there's anything you can do about them. It's caused by a piece of internal tissue breaking off when the egg is formed. I suppose if the hen suffered trauma it could increase them. Pullets are more likely to have meat spots. As they reach peak laying age their eggs have fewer surprises.

From what I've read, protein spots happen with production hens too, but with candling, the protein spots are seen and the eggs discarded, so only "perfect" eggs are shipped to stores.

Protein spots are not harmful and do not effect the quality or taste. They are just bits of tissue that occasionally slough off during the egg laying process.

Maybe someone with more experience will jump in to explain it better.

I have tried to candle mine... but I can never see the spots. I am using a maglite flashlight... Is there something else more effective?

A higher power flaslight.
wink.png
Maglights are actually very weak in lumen output.

The new best-est thing :p
http://www.eagletac.com/overview.html?6

Light up the top of pine trees and through your hands.

Thanks for the clarification, they don't bother me any, maybe as they start laying more these will clear up, they did when I had a bunch of Bantam cochins (the one that I still have lays "clean" eggs). I appreciate the info.

My pullets haven't been laying very long. The eggs often have a little line or a blood spot.

From what I've read, these spots will disappear into the yolk in a few days. So, they are actually indications of a very fresh egg
smile.png

I've tried to make my daughter understand this but she looks at me kind of funny
roll.png
. In fact, she looks at me kind of funny whenever I say anything about the chickens despite her own experience with them as a child.

I'm a little worried about that last carton of eggs I sent home with her since she found a blood spot in one of the eggs. One thing about it, if she takes very long to use the remaining eggs - any blood spots will have time to disappear
cool.png

Steve

Back
Top Bottom