How To Bond

Jelli_Sprout

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2021
I've had my chickens for about 10 Months (Since they were a few days old). I've raised them from chicks in a brooder to chickens in a coop, basically by myself. When I'm outside their enclosure they run to me and chirp. When I clean their coop they gather around me and peck at my shoes. However, when I'm trying to hang out with them in their enclosure, try to pet them, and try to pick them up- they run.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get your chickens to warm up to you, accept pettings, and just chill on your lap.

Just sit with them without trying to pick them up or pet them. They will (eventually) try out perching on you. If you still don't try petting them or picking them up, they will probably like it enough to do it a lot.

The reason for not picking them up or petting them is that everything eats chickens. Their instincts scream at them to get away if something tries to grab them. Especially from above. Or to carry them away.

Petting often feels good to hair or fur. Not so much to feathers. I think it is because feathers have a thick, stiff shaft imbedded deeply into sensitive skin.

They will allow a more contact as they learn to trust you.

Moving slowly, murmuring, and food all help the process go faster.

In my experience, some will enjoy petting and hanging out in your lap, and some never will.

Most of mine will eat out of my hand, but that's all the more connection they want. And, the majority of them were hand-raised by me from the time they were just a couple of days old. I brooded them in the house and handled them regularly.

My Bantam Cochins, for example, aren't keen on me touching them. But, my full-sized Cochin girls will jump onto my lap -- and often, onto my shoulder or back when I'm trying to get feed into the feeders. There are few sensations that compare to having a big, fluffy chicken suddenly land herself on your head like a heavy, feathered hat.

Back
Top Bottom