How To Breed Chocolate Paint Silkies

Caitlin0208

Hatching
Jan 10, 2024
How do you make a chocolate paint silkie? I'm going to be breeding paints this year and I want to breed both chocolate paints and black paints so far I only have 1 chocolate paint hen, 5 black paint hens, 1 chocolate hen, 1 white hen, 2 black roosters, 1 black paint rooster and a white rooster.

First time hearing about them. But apparently they do exist as a project.
Screenshot_20240110-212629_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240110-212717_Chrome.jpg

@Amer , correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can make chocolate paints. They're recessive, so wouldn't the dominant white gene make that impossible
The dominant white is incompletely dominant.
It is possible because chocolate is a different allele from sex linked chocolate.
I don’t really know what would happen if you had a copy of dominant white and a copy of dun, which is on the same allele. I’ve never really thought of it before. Interesting…But I digress.
One copy of dominant white turns most of the black on a bird white but leaves some spots.
If that black is diluted to chocolate it would turn most of the chocolate to black.
If you cross a chocolate cock with a white hen, you will get black paint cockerels (carrying a copy of chocolate) and chocolate paint pullets.
Let us assume the black and white males do not carry the chocolate gene. (If they do, that would be a welcome surprise, but we do not know.) To breed more chocolate, the key is to have males with the chocolate gene.
Since OP doesn’t have any chocolate males, the plan of action should be to breed the chocolate paint hen with the white rooster.
All of the offspring of this cross will be either white or paint, with the cockerels carrying chocolate (inheriting it from their mother.) The pullets won’t inherit a copy since it is a sexlinked gene.
Breed the a white carrying chocolate male with a chocolate female and 50 percent of the offspring will be chocolate paint while 50 percent of the offspring will be paint.
That is how you maximize the amount of chocolate paints.
Breed chocolate paint to chocolate paint and you will get 50 percent chocolate paint all the time. (Also chocolates and whites carrying chocolate.)
Or you could breed a chocolate bird to a white bird that is homozygous for chocolate and get all chocolate paints.

It is possible because chocolate is a different allele from sex linked chocolate.
I don’t really know what would happen if you had a copy of dominant white and a copy of dun, which is on the same allele. I’ve never really thought of it before. Interesting…But I digress.
One copy of dominant white turns most of the black on a bird white but leaves some spots.
If that black is diluted to chocolate it would turn most of the chocolate to black.
If you cross a chocolate cock with a white hen, you will get black paint cockerels (carrying a copy of chocolate) and chocolate paint pullets.
Let us assume the black and white males do not carry the chocolate gene. (If they do, that would be a welcome surprise, but we do not know.) To breed more chocolate, the key is to have males with the chocolate gene.
Since OP doesn’t have any chocolate males, the plan of action should be to breed the chocolate paint hen with the white rooster.
All of the offspring of this cross will be either white or paint, with the cockerels carrying chocolate (inheriting it from their mother.) The pullets won’t inherit a copy since it is a sexlinked gene.
Breed the a white carrying chocolate male with a chocolate female and 50 percent of the offspring will be chocolate paint while 50 percent of the offspring will be paint.
Breed chocolate paint to chocolate paint and you will get 50 percent chocolate paint all the time. (Also chocolates and whites carrying chocolate.)
Or you could breed a chocolate bird to a white bird that is homozygous for chocolate and get all chocolate paints.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240110_191603_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240110_191603_Chrome.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 66

Back
Top Bottom