How to care for molting and somewhat frostbitten hen in winter weather?

The Chick Addict

💖
Premium Feather Member
Jun 23, 2022
Texoma
My sister's Barred Rock, Kiki, is in mid-molt and I would say about almost half of her body does not have feathers. We had our first bad freeze last night and I put a hen saddle on her to see how she would do. I checked her out in the morning and she had a little bit of frost-nip so I brought her inside and it went away. But she had been shivering and I'm worried it could get worse if I don't do anything. Any ideas on how to take care of her and a way she can stay inside the coop with the others but stay warm as well? Here is a picture of her:
Kiki's back.jpg

Where was the frosting? Do not rub or put any creams or ointments on her to prevent frostbite since those may also freeze. Can you show some pictures of your coop and describe your height and ventilation? How many birds, and do they roost? Most chickens do okay unless temps are in the single digits if they have some overhead ventilation where humidity can flow out. Do prevent drafts on the chickens. I have used one piece polar fleece hen saddles on bare back chickens, the first year when our rooster was overbreeding them. Here is one similar to mine that goes on over the wings.
http://www.linnacresfarm.com/2014/04/how-to-make-simple-hen-saddleapron.html

Where was the frosting? Do not rub or put any creams or ointments on her to prevent frostbite since those may also freeze. Can you show some pictures of your coop and describe your height and ventilation? How many birds, and do they roost? Most chickens do okay unless temps are in the single digits if they have some overhead ventilation where humidity can flow out. Do prevent drafts on the chickens. I have used one piece polar fleece hen saddles on bare back chickens, the first year when our rooster was overbreeding them. Here is one similar to mine that goes on over the wings.
http://www.linnacresfarm.com/2014/04/how-to-make-simple-hen-saddleapron.html
It was a bit blue on the sides of her back from frostbite, but it seems to have gone away.

I was thinking about putting some hen cream on her, but I'm glad I didn't. I took some pictures of the coop and I'll show you.

About 25 birds with 2 on the way.

I do have 2 large vents with metal covers that I can open and close whenever I need to. I have them closed right now due to the winds blowing into the coop. There are a few small nailholes that I will cover with duct tape, but other than that, there are no large drafts.

Thank you for the link!

Is there a way I can have her stay inside of the coop without her having frostbite? I don't want to leave her inside until this freeze is over because she may be forgotten in the pecking order.

The coop roof is slanted and the higher side is 12 ft. and the lower side is 8 ft. The green piece of metal on the side are the vent covers.:
Coop.jpg

Coop2.jpg

Coop 3.jpg

Is there anybody who can give me any ideas on how to keep her warm in the coop tonight? I'm going to be going out soon and was wondering if I will just have to leave her in for the night...

My sister's Barred Rock, Kiki, is in mid-molt and I would say about almost half of her body does not have feathers. We had our first bad freeze last night and I put a hen saddle on her to see how she would do. I checked her out in the morning and she had a little bit of frost-nip so I brought her inside and it went away. But she had been shivering and I'm worried it could get worse if I don't do anything. Any ideas on how to take care of her and a way she can stay inside the coop with the others but stay warm as well? Here is a picture of her:
View attachment 3725968
Can I put Vaseline on her, which I have heard prevents frostbite, or will that freeze too?

Do not put anything cream or ointment on her to prevent frostbite. I would make her a quick polar fleece hen saddle. Your coop needs overhead ventilation. In my small coop, I have a small pop up window on each end about five feet high. Those stay open for crops through ventilation, and my windows and door are all closed. The floor and roost at 2 feet high are draft free. Be very very careful using a red heat lamp. Make sure that it is doubly secured with wire, and screwed in well. Turn it off during the day if possible. Check it often. We see so many coop fires from heat lamps falling into bedding, causing horrible loss and injury. Unless temps are below 10 degrees F, I never use heat. Some never use it because of the danger.

Back
Top Bottom