How to catch a Mink or fox??

momof247371

Songster
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
I have had something get in and kill 2 ducks and 2 geese already this winter. In 3 cases the head and neck were eaten( brain and everything) and in one case the whole bird was ate. We had a mink/weasel problem about 4 years ago but havnt had one since. I believe it is a mink/weasel this time too but someone told me it could be a fox. I have lots of free ranging chickens but the geese and ducks are kept in pasture. How do I trap/kill a mink or fox without trapping one of my birds?

Read the sticky at the top of the predators section.

Check and see if it is legal to trap those critters. I urge you to stay with in the law.

Then do an internet search on trapping.

Somewhere along the line try to determine what is getting your birds.

There is a lot of difference between a mink and a fox. Different techniques and equipment.

Do what you can to predator proof your chickens.

If for some reason you take action outside the law don't forget that the third S in SSS is silent. Don't tell the world (BYC) what you have done. Once again, I urge you to stay within the law.

Last edited:
Dont worry about me breaking the law. Around here I do believe you can trap/kill/catch any animals that poses a threat to you or your animals. All you have to do is report it to the conservation officer on shift..

The heads being eaten is classic raccoon behavior. From the number of encounters you have had there is no doubt you have security issues. Do you free-range? If so, expect losses because that goes with free-ranging. If you have a coop and run, you have a serious problem due to your losses being repeated.
sad.png
You need to do a serious and honest evaluation of whether you are doing everything you possibly can to insure the safety of your flock.
cool.png

How tall is their fence?

Is it electrified?

Is it sealed to prevent digging?

Is it protected from aerial predators?

How strong is your coop?

Any holes/openings?

Do you lockdown your coop every night? If not, why?

"To thine own self be true."
smile.png

Last edited:
Yes my animals do free range and some are pastured. This happens to the animals in the barn and not the free rangers.

Back
Top Bottom