How to choose a new companion?

RascalAndJemima

Songster
6 Years
Sep 12, 2016
I’m heartbroken to say that I found one of my ducks had died during the night. I had both of my girls from 3 days old and they were my first babies. Since then we have got dogs and a human baby, but I’m so so upset to have lost one of my girls so suddenly. She was fine yesterday so it was such a shock to find her this morning 💔 From reading what I can today, it’s not too unusual for a duck to die suddenly? I was expecting for her to be with us for so much longer 😢

I’m also deeply concerned about my remaining girl as they spent every second together for the last 7 years. I’m aware it would be best to get Jemima a new companion as soon as possible but I want to get it right.

Should I get one or two? How old? I was wondering whether to get 2 younger female ducks to join her? Are any specific breeds a good idea? Jemima is an Aylesbury and Rascal was a Khaki Campbell.

Where’s the best place to look? I’m in Derbyshire, U.K.

Also, it feels awful to be getting more ducks so soon. I’m sobbing as I’m typing this. Photo attached of my son with our gorgeous Rascal - she will be so missed ♥️

Attachments

• 6F8F595B-FF33-4A4D-854F-3E8CDCA2E9C9.jpeg
    6F8F595B-FF33-4A4D-854F-3E8CDCA2E9C9.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 8
Oh so sad that's so sad I'm so sorry! I don't know anything about ducks however just wanted to tell you I'm sorry my chickens are my babies as well I love them so much and I'd be heartbroken if anyone died

At 7 years old there is a good chance she passed of old age. Since your other duck is also older I would go with two more females that are younger. That way if something happens to your older girl you won’t have to go through trying to find another companion right away. I am sorry for your loss❤️

Last edited:
Oh so sad that's so sad I'm so sorry! I don't know anything about ducks however just wanted to tell you I'm sorry my chickens are my babies as well I love them so much and I'd be heartbroken if anyone died
Thank you - that’s so kind. I imagine that people who’ve never owned ducks or chickens would never believe how upset we are 😢

Getting two would be best, but truly whatever you can find. Two younger females would do great. So sorry you are going through this right now:hugs
At 7 years old there is a good chance she passed of old age. Since your other duck is also older I would go with two more females that are younger. That way if something happens to your older girl you won’t have to go through trying to find another companion right away. I am sorry for your loss❤️
Oh really? I had in mind that they can live to 15-20 years of age. And I’ve been going over and over what we could have done differently which may have helped her 😢
Yes - that’s what we thought too. We have found some large lumps on our other girl after giving her a thorough check over so we need to sort her out before we go ahead with getting her companions. She’s booked at the vets on Tuesday - I hope it’s nothing too serious!

Back
Top Bottom