How to Clean feather legged chickens?

Elky

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2016
In the Chicken Run
So I surfed the internet trying to get info on this and was surprised to find.... Nothing. Anyways I have a very high quality Cochin
bantam but this is my first time experiencing a feather legged chicken, since I am a modern game breeder, So with a show coming up
in about 2 months its time for me to put her into conditioning for the show, the problem is her once pristine feathered legs are now gunged up with mud. How do I clean them and get them ready for show? Someone told me pluck them so they will grow in nice before the show, but I don't have the heart to pluck my chickens feathers :/ Can anyone help me?

I raise silkies and now Cochins but do not show. I do keep my babes clean and I love to just use a water bath of warm water with liquid ivory soap swished GENTLY into the water .
Place the chicken into the bath and using your hands GENTlY CLEAN THE FEATHERS .

DO NOT RINSE. Just towel and blow dry on low. The feathers will be clean and silky soft.

The amount of soap used will depend upon the amount of warm water. So let's say you use a washing machine drain tub- the light grey plastic ones on stilt legs- and you fill it 3/4 the way filled then you would use 1/2 cup of basic. Ivory dish soap that has been GENTLY swished into the warm water. Try to not get any bubbles.

Till you get the hang of this have a second person help you and have 2 large towels and 2 small hair towels available to gently dry the babe before using the hair dryer.

If you clean with soap, always rinse in white vinegar. It gets them cleaner and cuts through the soap residues. If soap residues are left on a chicken in a show, it could be a disqualification.
-Liv
Edited for spelling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom