How To Clip Wings

Devyn Nagy

Crowing
Jun 2, 2020
Michigan, USA
Hey everyone!
I've got a 9 month old chicken who insists on "flying the coop" all the time. There are neighbor dogs and predators around, so I think I'll have to clip her wings. I've never done this and would like some advice on how. I suppose it doesn't matter which feathers are cut, as long as some primary flight feathers are gone. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Is there a way to hold her so she is subdued and not trying to escape? Should I clip both wings or just one? Give me your advice, please!

Hello! You'll need to trim the wings along a straight line (see pic) don't worry too much, there aren't any blood feathers there, so she'll be alright :)
I highly suggest finding someone to assist and hold her while you trim the wings. If she's still determined to fly, you may have to trim shorter. Best of luck!
Screenshot_20230102-075701_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I agree with the above, although I trimmed them back a bit shorter, right back to where you would start cutting more feathers if you went any further.

How I hold a chicken for anything like this, is I kneel on the ground and put the birds head under me. The legs should be lying on the ground, sticking out in front of me.
This way I can hold it with my knees if need be, and having the head in the dark under me calms it.
But probably best not do it this way if you don't have good balance!

Back
Top Bottom