How to control Hawks!

Svh1988

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2018
Hello, I'm new to this site but very much enjoying it for sue! To me there's no better way to have chickes than have on pasture or free range. But I don't understand how people do it, I mean we live in Hartford Tennessee and I can't have them running in a fenced in 100' lot while others can keep them ranging on acres. I was just curious and wished I could do the same here, Thank You very much for the feed back I appreciate it!

Welcome to BYC!
We have hawks here, but have only lost free range chickens to coyotes.
How do people do it? Some have guardian dogs, some raise replacements each year, some raise breeds that are better at evading predators. It's always a risk that you take. For me, the quality of the eggs makes free ranging important. We have some that get to free range a lot, and some that have to stay in all the time.
Anyway, you will find something that works for you, good luck!
Sue

:welcomeGlad you joined the flock.:frowSome places have more predators than others. Everyone that free ranges will suffer losses, minimizing the losses is the trick. A good dog can help, but hawks are not going to be stopped by a dog. I read somewhere that old CDs can be hug strategically, like gardeners use aluminum pie plates. The constant flashing in the sun as they twist and spin in the breeze is supposed to frighten them. Nothing but a coop can stop all predators. Good Luck.

:welcomeGlad you joined the flock.:frowSome places have more predators than others. Everyone that free ranges will suffer losses, minimizing the losses is the trick. A good dog can help, but hawks are not going to be stopped by a dog. I read somewhere that old CDs can be hug strategically, like gardeners use aluminum pie plates. The constant flashing in the sun as they twist and spin in the breeze is supposed to frighten them. Nothing but a coop can stop all predators. Good Luck.
Thank you

Thank You

Back
Top Bottom