How to convince your husband to build you a chicken coop

How cool! I never knew TSC had these plans, and despite underestimating the space needed per chicken, these are really great coop designs! You might also check out Building Chicken Coops for Dummies, available at Amazon, here in the BYC Store, and even as an electronic Kindle version. There are four coops described in great detail. I don't have anyone to sweet talk into building anything..... Gotta pay for somebody to build anything or do it myself. After building my first two coops - which took months of weekends apiece - I just pay someone to build things now. I really like ALL the coop projects listed at that TSC site you provided. Tractor styles aren't suitable for my situation, but all the plans look really good!
Yeah I love how their plans are easy to follow. I agree with the underestimation of space, as they only allow for 2 sqft per bird whereas I thought it was supposed to be more like 4-6. I would never put 15 birds in the coop I want, but its a starting point! Once I've got one coop I'll manage the rest as the need arises. I mean we haven't even gotten the things yet (I've been waiting for the last of the late freezes to finish up) and while we started with a plan for 2 hens, we've escalated to planning for 6 hens and a rooster! Would you call that hypothetical chicken math? Virtual chicken math? I dunno...

Well I just simply stated my need to mother something little again and that I was perfectly fine with him building a coop to raise chicks or having my birth control removed.
wink.png
oh, my god!! i didn't think of this...can you image a 2 year old grandson and Honey, I'm pregnant--I'd have to get the fire department--he'd completely have a heart attack. as it was My daughter got married and moved out--causes me to want to mother something (besides the dogs)--a donkey and 8 hens later...

Last edited:
Oh don't worry, he will build a coop. I just need to keep reminding him that I want it, well... yesterday! I have discovered that men are most susceptible to persuasion by means of total sweetness, cooking, and um, shall we say "feminine wiles?"
wink.png
Hmmm, do you offer classes on using sweetness, cooking, and feminine wiles to get something? My wife could use them
hide.gif
. She hasn't figured out the 2 best ways to a mans heart. I've told her the 2 best ways to a mans heart, but she hasn't tried either of those tactics yet.

After 2 years of fighting to get chickens I took matters into my own hands. I posted on Facebook for all his friends to see.
Dearest Honey,
I want chickens....... build me a coop or else!

He finally gave in...I actually built my coop but I had his "blessing" to do so.

Lol, FOOD, YOU CAN BURN HIS DINNER AND OPPS HONEY SO SORRY Lol
Or give him his favorite meal and say I can make more for you, can you build my coop!! Lol sorry I just thought this was funny

Must be no husbands here to answer lol. Let me tell you as a prospective husband- tell him you will buy all the new tools he needs to do it. I would build anything for my girl if she bought me that giant chopsaw I've been eyeballing and a bigger compressor and all the pneumatic tools I "need" to build the coop. Or does he already have them?
THat dont work either in my case. I actually bought my own power tools. My own compound miter saw, table saw....

I have to build my own....mainly because the tools would fly. He gets frustrated with putting furniture together. Plus i would be too worried that he does stuff wrong. I actually enjoy working with power tools. I guess being an Army wife gives you the DIY or it never gets done additude.

This cracks me up.

The "You do it yourself..." so it's done without temper tantrums and done right!

Over the many years of our marriage my husband has always been very understanding and accomodating of my various coop/barn/pasture/fencing etc. etc. needs but I must admit he's gotten to the point where if I even mention a pen for this or that he has started to look at me with something akin to complete horror. He's got things set up pretty nicely for me at this point, so I'm afraid I'll have to be satisfied with the two coops/runs I currently have and leave the poor man alone. For a while.

Back
Top Bottom