How to coop train chicks when you have no run and with hens

Bigegges

Chirping
Apr 27, 2021
I have 9 Amberlink hens and 1 leghorn. I let them free range all over my yard. I got 12 new chicks 6 weeks ago and I am about to mix the two groups together. The problem is that without a run if the chicks don’t go back in I can’t catch them. I have them in a dog cage in the coop and plan on having them like that for 2 weeks. Will they know how to get in the coop from the outside by following the big hens or will they just be running around the yard. I really don’t want to have to lock up the big hens because they have been free ranging since they were about full size. The coop is plenty big enough to have them sleep in and lay eggs in but they will get bored and just bully the chicks. Any advice how to coop train the chicks and keep the older ones free ranging at the same time.

I sometimes pen the chicks in a small section of the coop with a fence. Then after a few days lift the bottom so they can go in and out but the bigs can't go through. With older chicks I have also just put them in and take them back in each night. I guide them up the ramp instead of just sticking them in. They are easy to catch after dark. They usually return to where their brood pen was. It usually only takes about 3 or 4 days until they go on their own.

Well it takes a long while to integrate chicks and adults together even if they can see each other in the coop. If you want the chicks to free range you should wait till there 2 months old minimum. During that time period let them free inside the coop with the adults free ranging outside so they get a better since of there home.

I'm going through the same thing right now. I have placed my chicks at one week old in a nesting box I modified into a brooder. I since made an extention from brooder to include part of the coop where the adults can see them when there about to sleep. The chicks are 2 weeks old now so I still have a long while to get to the point where they can free range and come back to sleep in the coop with the adults not hurting them. But I did put a lot of thought into my plans. So it should work.

Well it takes a long while to integrate chicks and adults together even if they can see each other in the coop. If you want the chicks to free range you should wait till there 2 months old minimum. During that time period let them free inside the coop with the adults free ranging outside so they get a better since of there home.

I'm going through the same thing right now. I have placed my chicks at one week old in a nesting box I modified into a brooder. I since made an extention from brooder to include part of the coop where the adults can see them when there about to sleep. The chicks are 2 weeks old now so I still have a long while to get to the point where they can free range and come back to sleep in the coop with the adults not hurting them. But I did put a lot of thought into my plans. So it should work.
The chicks are about 6-7 weeks old now the chicks are in the box and the rooster and to the left of where that picture is they can see Escher and are in the same house just wondering if they will go in the coop and night or will have to put them in their Thai is the 2nd year on doing chickens and have never had to add anything to the originals
F66A2F18-154A-4993-B8C4-EC9686F6460F.jpeg

The chicks are about 6-7 weeks old now the chicks are in the box and the rooster and to the left of where that picture is they can see Escher and are in the same house just wondering if they will go in the coop and night or will have to put them in their Thai is the 2nd year on doing chickens and have never had to add anything to the originals View attachment 2638823
My coop isn't as big as yours so I had to make adjustments to accommodate the chicks. But yes that works.

Curious to how this worked out. When you let the little ones out of that brooder, what happened? Did they free range with the big girls? Did they come back to the coop at night? Did the big girls accept them with no problems?

Curious to how this worked out. When you let the little ones out of that brooder, what happened? Did they free range with the big girls? Did they come back to the coop at night? Did the big girls accept them with no problems?
They free ranged no problem when I let them out they wouldn’t leave the coop to far and slowly went farther and farther out of the coop. Now you can’t even tell the bugs ones from the little ones. I also raised 3 turkeys in there after done with chickens that worked too

Attachments

• C370DC5E-1FA6-4BB1-8A7E-61652F1F8D1B.jpeg
    C370DC5E-1FA6-4BB1-8A7E-61652F1F8D1B.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 9BEC76C4-E47E-4BF2-A46B-6218711974EB.jpeg
    9BEC76C4-E47E-4BF2-A46B-6218711974EB.jpeg
    477.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 445E941E-7511-401B-A680-08D3E37B1E9A.jpeg
    445E941E-7511-401B-A680-08D3E37B1E9A.jpeg
    551.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom