How to Determine Appropriate Pricing

weirdobeardo

In the Brooder
May 13, 2016
Hi everyone. I have some heritage turkeys and some bread breasted turkeys. We raise them all free range together on an organic diet. I live in a small rural area in Northern New England that is well below the national average median income. I've had several people ask me to let them know when they are ready and they'd love to get one for Thanksgiving. I'm really not sure to know what to charge folks. I hear what some people are getting and even though I personally would pay that, I think alot of folks around here would drop their jaw and just go to our spanking new walmart and get a butterball.
I was looking for opinions on what would be an appropriate price per pound to ask or overall price for the weight range. I know I've gotten processed turkeys turkeys from farmers before I started raising them myself where the price per pound changes for the larger birds and they have a cur off where no bird is over $100 no matter weight. I'd love to hear what you all think. My coats are fairly low besides the organic feed. I do my own processing and the heritage birds I hatched out from incubation. Ive been raising them for a few years but always just bartered them or gifted them to family & friends. Thanks in advance.

You know the feel of the community, bartering is great .I don’t pay for my haircuts .

I’d add up all the costs to buy and feed them , just to give yourself an idea. My eggs for example are $1.99 at Walmart , I charge $3.00 because these are my neighbors and customers ,

You’ll know soon enough if you’ve got it right , have you asked people what they’d be willing to pay ??

Good luck

Local market is going to be different in each area. Keep raising prices until enough people complain lol. I can get $150-$200 for a table bird pretty easily, so that's roughly $10/lb. Turks are mega eaters and it's truly difficult to actually make a nice profit. I'll be curious to see other people share their information on the topic.

Thanks for the response folks. $150-$200 is an amazing price for a bird. The highest I've seen here was $90 for a giant one.And that was the last bird that I purchased before I started raising them. It's difficult to get $65.00 but manageable. I like idea of asking folks what they feel comfortable paying.

Back
Top Bottom