How to determine if a cut needs stitches?

The Zoo

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Hayward, CA
I have a hen who has a largish cut on her neck. Happened when the too frisky rooster tried to mate her and she stuck her head out of the run fence and I think by jerking her head up cut her neck on the wires.
Yes this is another hen with the same issue the first one had but this one is much worse.
Cut is about half an inch wide and an inch long. It's red and bloody but not dripping blood. She still has the feathers around the area.

I've washed it and put neosporin on it but am wondering if it needs stitches. I could try taking her to my vet but he's pretty much dogs and cats. Not sure if he could treat a chicken.

She is isolated in a dog kennel and is eating and drinking just fine.

Needless to say w're putting up plastic fencing with small holes they can't stick their head out of this weekend.

I think that keeping it clean and covered with neosporin should be enough. Watch it for signs of infection. If it gets red or swollen, get some antibiotics for her.

Yes, much as horsejody said, try and keep it clean and free of infection. If it doesn't begin to clear up and/or signs of infection appear, phone your vet and ask if they treat chickens, and see if they can do anything for her. The chances are, she wont need stitches.

eggsrcool
smile.png

groovy - thanks.
We do have sutures here for emergencies. I was joking with my husband, some valium for him, me and the hen before we stitch her up.
She should be fine, if not too happy, in the large dog kennel and I'll check her often.
My poor girls!

Back
Top Bottom