How to Eliminate as much disease and/ or parasites from coop

Ramblin Rooster

Hatchaholic
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
Fairfield, Connecticut
Hi Folks.

This Spring/ Summer I was hoping to strip my entire barn and power wash and disinfect the entire thing. My goal is if there is any disease or parasites in there to eliminate as many as I can and anywhere they could be living. I would love your help getting suggestions on how to do this as thoroughly as possible. It will be my ENTIRE barn to be as safe as possible. Will need ideas for what to do with birds in the meantime.

Here's what I am going to do from what I know right now;

1. De-worm and De-lice the entire flock prior to cleaning and stripping coop.
2. During a couple days strip everything from inside the barn and then power wash the walls, disinfect everywhere (not sure what with), and scrub the hell out of the barn.
3. Put back birds and feeders/waterers.

thanks

Hi Folks.

This Spring/ Summer I was hoping to strip my entire barn and power wash and disinfect the entire thing. My goal is if there is any disease or parasites in there to eliminate as many as I can and anywhere they could be living. I would love your help getting suggestions on how to do this as thoroughly as possible. It will be my ENTIRE barn to be as safe as possible. Will need ideas for what to do with birds in the meantime.

Here's what I am going to do from what I know right now;

1. De-worm and De-lice the entire flock prior to cleaning and stripping coop.
2. During a couple days strip everything from inside the barn and then power wash the walls, disinfect everywhere (not sure what with), and scrub the hell out of the barn.
3. Put back birds and feeders/waterers.

thanks

Most power washers have a feature that allows you draw chemicals into the pump and premix them before delivering the mixture out of the wand at high pressure.

How's bout removing everything moveable, shoveling out all the loose material, spreading slacked lime on the ground and then pressure washing with water maybe augmented with bleach. However investigate before hand if there will be any serious chemical reaction between the bleach and the lime and don't ware any thing that you would mind getting bleached, and do remember that slacked lime is a serious caustic matural. There are also some good commercial disinfectants that can be sprayed directly on the inside and outside of your barn using either an ag. sprayer or a pressure washer.

When dry go back with a good Permethrin based premise spray to kill ticks, lice, fleas, flies, and mites. Also don't neglect to disinfect all the equipment before returning it to the barn. And remember to clean your spray equipment, purge it, and pickle it before storing it, that is if you ever intend on using it again. However time and Sunlight is imho the best disinfectant.

Most power washers have a feature that allows you draw chemicals into the pump and premix them before delivering the mixture out of the wand at high pressure.

How's bout removing everything moveable, shoveling out all the loose material, spreading slacked lime on the ground and then pressure washing with water maybe augmented with bleach. However investigate before hand if there will be any serious chemical reaction between the bleach and the lime and don't ware any thing that you would mind getting bleached, and do remember that slacked lime is a serious caustic matural. There are also some good commercial disinfectants that can be sprayed directly on the inside and outside of your barn using either an ag. sprayer or a pressure washer.

When dry go back with a good Permethrin based premise spray to kill ticks, lice, fleas, flies, and mites. Also don't neglect to disinfect all the equipment before returning it to the barn. And remember to clean your spray equipment, purge it, and pickle it before storing it, that is if you ever intend on using it again. However time and Sunlight is imho the best disinfectant.
Great! Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I lost this is all my subscriptions. This is very useful. I will probably let it sit for a month or two as well when I am done. I will take photos and put them here for people in the future who hope to do the same.

Back
Top Bottom