How to encourage Japanese Coturnix quail to brood their eggs

No one will ever fix it if nobody keeps trying. If I ever have the space I would like to try a simulated environment in large aviaries something like 10x20, with just a few quail and a lot of natural cover.

The aviary Im building is 18' by 11' but the pen they are in for now is sort of shaped like a triangle with a chopped corner that is 4' for the door and side of 5' by 8' by 7'. Its a nice little pen for the two and whole heck of a lot more natural than the cage I rescued them from. I dont feel it is safe to leave them over night in it so I do bring them in the house in a carrier. They just love it in the morning when I take them outside and let them out. They hop and attempt to fly. The top has a sheet draped over it so they dont hit hard but it stops them from flying out.

Right here with you Lozbi. There's just no way I could keep quail sequestered to a cage their whole life, absolutely disgusting IMO and anyone that does it should be ashamed. The point of raising poultry yourself is to let them free range so they produce healthier/better tasting/nutrient rich meat and eggs. I don't care if its conventional to cage them its NOT RIGHT.

Currently trying to train my little flock of chicks to leave the aviary and explore for food, I keep the heat lamp in the aviary for them, and the food outside, to encourage them to wander out and eat. I live in a tropical climate (70F+ all the time, usually in the 80's) so they are comfortable leaving the 100F heat of the lamp for food.

Everything is going good, I eventually hope to train them to go in the coop like chickens to at least shelter themselves at night from cats etc.
If they laid the eggs in there too that would be great, but ofc i'm not counting on that! Planning to lose a few to cats but that's just nature.

EDIT: lozbi to keep them from flying too high clip one of their wings, that way when they try to fly they never go too high and hit them self on the head. Although i'm sure you have already tried this does it not work?

Last edited:
Free ranging quail in most states is considered release and requires a permit.

ETA: You should consider that aside from cats, raccoons, skunks, weasels, foxes, and bobcats, falcons, hawks, ravens, and black crows will also all prey on loose quail.

Last edited:
I havc not tried clipping their wings. On the top of the pen I built for them ive attached a sheet. The pen is about 4 feet high so if they fly up any higher than four feet they just run into the soft and giving sheet then come back down to the ground. It is working well. Im not free-ranging my pair.

I would do something besides that sheet for a top. Its pretty common for me to go outside in the morning to red shouldered hawks or one of a couple different types of falcons, perched on my cages looking for a way in, and I just live across the bay from you.

ETA: I'd also like to point out (you may be aware, but I always clear my conscience) chickens can carry many diseases and parasites that they are resistant to and will display no symptoms of, but can be fatal to quail. Corzya, MG, and Blackhead among them. Once a bird has one of these diseases it will carry it for life and transmit it freely even if successfully treated for the disease. They should be kept separate and biosecurity should be practiced between the handling of each species.

Last edited:
Oh I guess my pic doesnt make it obvious....the quail pen is inside a much larger aviary. The large structure has a nice, substantial roof that protects from the rain.

Also, I bring the pair inside to sleep at night because I dont trust a predator not to try and get into the aviary during the night.

I should point out that the aviary is in the midst of construction so the top wire mesh row is not up. I do have plenty of bird netting and large trees such that I have never had a hawk try to get into the top open part. Actually my chickens are pretty safe even in the yard due to all the cover. I did lose a little girl to a hawk but she was up on my deck. I am aware of flying predators and what needs to be done to discourage them.

I will try to brood them , In Sha Allah ....... i am planning to make my rooftop garden into a large cage and keep my quails there just to provide a natural and yet safe environment ... although sad part is dat they havnt started laying eggs yet , may be bcuz it's winter time now

try make tippler or racer pigeons sit on the eggs then move the hatched quails to the brooder

Back
Top Bottom