how to "fatten up" charlie? for lack of better terms

sallysinnamon

Songster
9 Years
Dec 4, 2010
south eastern
I have a duck named Charlie. When she hatched she couldnt walk. I taped her little "elbows" to make her be able to stand. I used moleskin sticky pads to tape her webs open, whereas they were closed and she was trying to walk on the wrong sides of them. Within a few days she could stand, and start to walk, and in a few more the moleskin came off, and she could walk and run around on her own. Charlie is now about 6 months old. She has always been slightly smaller than the other ducks..but i recently noticed she looks a bit skinny due to her diet. she recently became kind of a picky eater, and doesnt like the treats the rest of the ducks love, that she at one point liked...and she seems to have tired of her food. We feed our ducks flock raiser, they are healthy looking ducks..except her. Shes happy and motors around the yard, seemingly prefering to be a duck as opposed to a house duck(which she does in the cold and the rain because it seems to make her legs a little stiff just like a person with arthritis and wears her little harness). i guess my concern is pretty soon she will be laying eggs, and i dont want her to have any trouble due to her being so thin. Any suggestions would be welcome..thansk in advance.

Do you think you could mix in some wet dog food with her feed?

Yes many people feed dry dog kibble. Wet Dog food is often used when trying to fatten up animals. Weight has to be put on at a steady rate though. Too fast can be very harmful.

Back
Top Bottom