How to ferment chicken feed

ChickNgal96

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2018
Oxford kansas
I am wanting to try to ferment my feed to cut down on waste and to make the feed last longer. I know the process is fairly simple but would like to have some insight. I have 6 chickens and 2 ducks. Is it okay for the ducks to eat as well? How long after you ferment is the feed good? What rations do I need to do?

Fermenting feed is no more complicated than adding water to chicken crumbles or pellets. If you use filtered water, (to remove chlorine) it ferments in about 36 hours, and adding a glug of ACV will make it go faster.

Add more feed to get a thicker consistency or more water to get a thinner batch. To make more, start a new bucket (those white plastic ones you can buy at a hardware store) with a cup of the previous batch.

Steer clear of adding BOSS or scratch grains as the chickens will pick those out first. But adding BOSS during the freezing cold of winter helps the chickens stay warmer.

Consider that an adult chicken will eat about half a cup of FF in one day. I assume ducks will consume about the same. You want to mix up enough to last the flock about three days, no more as it loses its loft and optimum nutrients. But it won't go bad. You can also refrigerate the FF after it ferments and that will make it last longer.

Ducks will benefit from FF just as chickens do.

Consider that an adult chicken will eat about half a cup of FF in one day. I assume ducks will consume about the same. You want to mix up enough to last the flock about three days, no more as it loses its loft and optimum nutrients. But it won't go bad. You can also refrigerate the FF after it ferments and that will make it last longer.

Okay thank you

There is a FAQ re: FF in my signature. You will have to copy the "address" into a search bar. FF is great for ducks, and chickens. I've been doing it for about 6 years. I mix up a 5 gal bucket of FF for my flock. When the bucket is almost empty, I add more feed and water, and it's ready to go the next morning. When my flock is big, I may rotate 2 - 3 buckets, but a single bucket will work for up to 24 adult hens. My preference is to be renewing bucket every 24 - 72 hours, based on ambient temp. If you need it to ferment faster, you can use warm water. Use cold water to slow it down a bit. In hot summer temps, I try to use it within 24 - 48 hours. Make the FF about the consistency of mashed potato, soft serve ice cream, cooked oat meal. Birds don't seem to like it if it is too wet.

Hey, @lazy gardener, I used fermented feed most of the summer in an attempt to clear up some dirty butts that weren't yeast. It worked really well and everyone's butts cleared up, nice and fluffy. Then, when it got colder and the time change made it dark when I get home from work, I switched back to pellets that I can just fill the feeder and leave it. Now the dirty butts are starting up again, so I'd like to go back to fermented feed. How do I manage this when it's cold?

I have 14 chickens, so was going between 2 3 gallon buckets. If I switch to 1 5 gallon bucket, will it do okay in the garage (hovers around 50, more or less, during the cold part of winter)? I'm in north Alabama, so not as cold as the bitter north but not toasty warm, either. I'm going to try it anyway, since it will eventually ferment even if it's cold, but just wonder if there's any tips to be aware of ahead of time. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom