How to get a DNA sequence for a chicken

I think it would be useful to have a DNA genetic sequence to know the genetics my chicken possesses

• Yes - would really like to know the scientific facts

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Maybe - It would depend on the price

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • No - not interested

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I am interested in crossing the U of A Blue (good production blue egg layer) with a Cream Leghorn to make it auto-sexing. But I understand there is a question whither the CL rooster is OO or Oo. Just to be clear, I make no claim to know what I am talking about. But trying to learn.

The Cream Legbar breed is homozygous for blue eggs.

From what I know as a biologist, DNA sequencing would not be a cost effective way to determine a chickens gene make-up for a couple of traits. Generally I guess the cost would be very expensive if you could even find some place to do it. It is fairly labor and equipment intensive. Most of the sequencing that has been done was part of scientific/university based research for a very specific research focus.If one were seriously looking, I'd go over to the coop website and ask around if anyone knows of a lab/university that would do it.

I'd think an equally reliable method would be to set up your own test matings utilizing the specific dominant and recessives of the genes you're concerned over. While test matings require time and lots of hatches its ,ore realistic for outside of the scientific community.

Dave
hi Dave-

Thanks for the insight.... I wonder just how expensive. There are DNA tests for Parrots, for parrot sexing and parrot color - so it isn't totally beyond the realm of hobbyist having access to scientific answers.

For my part - I would rather sink some money, even if considerable, into a DNA sequence, than to spend some years, and many chicken lives doing a lot of test matings...Add the cost of feed and housing and the cost of your time into the equation, and sometimes, it costs more than one thinks, although the cost is spread out over some years....:O)

~~I think there would be a number of cost impact factors. First of all, when DNA sequencing is done, you get long strings of the 4 amino acids that make up genes (A,T C,& G). To determine what these long strings mean, you have to know what AA strings are contained in what genes in order to identify what the genes are that you're seeing. In reality, not that much is known for what AA strings mean what genes outside of the production traits previously researched for use in egg/meat production. For example, I don't think anyone has worked on what AA make up the pattern gene which is part of what makes a laced or penciled bird. In addition there are a fairly large number of know errors in what has already been researched in terms of those studied genes. So while you could get a DNA sequence done, no one may be able to tell what most of it means. I've seen DNA sequencing for as much as $3,000 per sample (or more depending upon the detail and number of chromosomes involved).
There has been some research done for GENE Sequencing which involves which genes are located on which chromosome and to some extent, which are next to which and how far apart are they. For example, we know that sex-linked traits such as the silver/gold gene is located on the Z sex chromosome (one chromosome in females and two in males). We also know that the pea comb and blue egg shell are located relatively close to each other on the same chromosome and therefore may commonly be found together in the same bird. The gene sequence information can be done with DNA sequencing when the DNA make-up of the genes is known, but if not known, you have to rely on test matings and how frequently the genes mix into different combinations (crossing-over is the term). As you can imagine, this requires lots of chicks/grow out birds to get a little idea on distances between genes.

Unfortunately, not many of the total possible traits have clearly identified in terms of genetic make-up and the like. I know some work has been done with egg color, but I don't know that its down to the level of knowing the DNA sequencing for example.

If you've read through this far, I guess what I'm thinking is that while the process is possible, there may not be much to tell from the results unless you also find a researcerh willing to work on it - and that could run into multiple thousands of dollars. For the production industry, there just isn't much value in funding things beyond what traits will increase their profits and the number of researchers with access of equipment, labs, and time who are also chicken folks is likely to be pretty small. They do exist but can't research everything just for "fun".

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info Dave! Now I hope this isn't the end of this thread.
roll.png

in dogs and horses there are many dna tests for lots of things from health issues, to coat type to color
Most of the coat type and color ones runs $40-65/animal per test

That is cheap enough
why cant there be such a thing for chickens

Back
Top Bottom