How to get chickens in the coop at night

You could also be bringing them in too early I know mine like to stay out until they are called in by one of the roosters and he usually calls them in at about 8:30-8:45. Now if I want to bring them in a little earlier, I just shake the meal worm container and they stampede to get their helping of chicken crack.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much! You were all right about the light and attempting to get them in too early!

Mine dont go in until around 8pm unless its dark and gloomy out.

Try throwing scratch or whatever their favorite treat is inside the coop when it's time for them to come roost. You may have to give them a little out of your hand until they get the idea of what you're doing. I always give the treat to my alpha hen as I know the rest will follow whatever she does.

Mine go in by themselves at dusk. When I do have to have them cooped earlier, I bring them a treat. Usually dried meal worms, which I put in a lidded container and shake like a maraca to get their attention, then sprinkle them in the coop. It's like roller derby after that - get outta the way!!!!!!

I am having the same problem! I have a shaded area under the coop for them and they all seem to really like that better then their coop. :( It was past dark tonight and had to scoop them out of the area under the coop. I am afraid they may have a heart attack and I will get bit by some spider. I was tempted to leave them out over night but we have coyotes and have heard reports a possible bob cat in the area. How did it go Vanessa 514 did you get them to know where home is??

I put some sunflower seeds in a cup and shake it. When I get their attention, I start throwing a few seeds to them until everyone is there. They'll call each other over if they're not all in the same area. they'll follow me if I toss seeds as I walk. when I get to the coop, I throw a bunch of seed inside until they all get the picture that's where the seed is. some are not too swift and have a hard time finding the door. The trick is to get everyone inside without loosing a few while collecting a straggler.

Do you give them sunflower seeds with or without shells?  How old should your pullets be before you start treats and grit?

I bought a 10 lb bag of black oil sunflower seeds for birds and feed them whole for a treat. it's their favorite. Cheap, easy and good for them.

They were pretty much full grown when I started giving them BOSS. I don't remember the exact age. They hadn't started laying, but were big enough to be outside in their coop.

When I first started letting my chicks out of the coop and into their run during the day I would have to chase them around in the evening to out them back in. I realized quickly how much of a pain that was so I started letting them stay out until dark when they bedded down and I was able to scoop them right up off the ground and put them in. Now they are 5 weeks old and when I go out to put them up they are all right at the top of their ramp just before going in the coop so I just kinda shoo them in and close the door. I expect it won't be long before they are putting themselves to bed completely.
My guess is yours are just not ready for bed so early.

Back
Top Bottom