How to get rid of mites inside the house..

clickie

Songster
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Ocean State
Hi, I know this has been asked alot but what can I do about mites. I have looked up ways to get rid of them, but my problem is my chickens are inside. I have them my room which is carpeted. They chickens are also near other birds and small animals. Will just vacumming get the mites up, or is there anything that I can put down on the carpet to get rid of them.

I just noticed the mites when I went to clean the cage and found little black things on my shirt. that really freaked me out. The chickesn are waiting to go to a new home (they are roos so I can't keep them), that's why they are inside for the time being. also my coop isn't large enough for them.

Thankyou for any advice and help.

I would say they need to be dusted with Poultry Dust, but I don't think your suppose to get that on your skin.

Hopefully, someone will know what you can use, since they are inside.

Permacetrin dust 5.00 a can at the local co-op/

Will that be okay to use indoors, near other animals. I am so grossed out by the mites.​

How about a flea/tick carpet powder that can be vaccuumed up?

How about a flea/tick carpet powder that can be vaccuumed up?

Will that kill the mites? I will try putting some down. Do mites stay near the chickens, or will they go all around the room?​

I believe it is.
,to be rubbed into their fur as you would the birds.
to be sure read the label before you try it. I dont have
the can available but I use it all the time.
mixed into the wood shavings of the hen house.

I would check into some of the bombs for fleas/ticks/roaches etc. that you can you use in the house. They might get rid of the chicken mites too.

I have been doing some research: Quoted: Mites that normally infest birds also bite people. The northern fowl mite (Ornithonyssus sylviarum) and chicken mite (Dermanyssus gallinae) primarily infest chickens, but also pigeons, starlings and sparrows. The northern fowl mite cannot survive for more than a month off its host, while the chicken mite hides in cracks and crevices near bird nests during the day and feeds by night. Cheyletiella mites infest both birds and mammals. They may prey on other mites and insects living on the host’s skin. They can cause a mange-like condition in pets, and itching in people who handle infested pets. They do not stay long on humans.

When mites have been identified, appropriate control measures can be employed. A vacuum sweeper can be a valuable weapon in the mite control arsenal. Infestations of clover mites, rodent and bird mites in and around structures can sometimes be eliminated by vacuuming alone. Vacuuming may be less effective, but still of value, in controlling various food mites, straw itch mites and dust mites. Note that dust mites are not prevalent in ductwork; therefore, duct cleaning is not recommended for dust mite control. However, a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filter can be installed to help prevent airborne allergens, including dust mite particles.

Back
Top Bottom