How to get rid of mites on hens?

Crumpet2020

Songster
Nov 29, 2020
I‘ve done everything to get rid of mites, I keep the coop clean, I have diatomaceous earth in the dust bath and coop but I still found mites on one of my birds. What do I do?

Try sprinkling some of the D.E (Diatomaceous Earth) onto the chickens with mites. Another thing that might help is mixing a little bit into their food.

Try sprinkling some of the D.E (Diatomaceous Earth) onto the chickens with mites. Another thing that might help is mixing a little bit into their food.
Unfortunately, DE has been debunked as far as its parasite killing abilities and its even more worthless when swallowed - moisture deactivates it per say. There is a spray that starts with a P, permethrin or something? That’s what you need - change out the bedding completely and spray the coop down. Should work.

Permethrin works well for mites. I had to clean the coop out completely, spray with Permethrin then repeat once a week for 2 weeks to get rid of the mites. It only kills live mites, not eggs so its necessary to repeat. I treated the chickens with Permethrin dust.

PXL_20210501_010538632.jpg

Back
Top Bottom