How to get rid of mites??? Please help me!!!!

CHeck this link out and tell me you feel the same way. http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/81-123/pdfs/0100.pdf

http://www.ehow.com/info_8497961_natural-alternatives-sevin-garden.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=nu...v=onepage&q=why was carbaryl invented&f=false

I do not mean to be flippant but I would think that would concern me. I don't know a lot about the stuff such as half life and if it can be built up in cells. I'm sure it can't be all that bad. Have you had any chickens born with deformities or a high instance of chick mortality or egg mortality? When do you think it would be safe to consume eggs or bird meat without consuming the stuff ourselves? Otherwise take it for what it was a suggestion to someone wanting to care for their chickens and not an attack on your morality or ethics. I can;t look in the mirro for you and vice versa. But we can share our love for birds. We can seek out what is the best and not worrying about our own petty little egos.
Thanks for the CDC info. It actually makes me LESS worried about carbaryl than previously. That's a document for occupational health, which means it details the exposures for people who work with the chemical for 40+ hours a week. The airborne exposure limits, designed to protect workers at "negligible harm" are actually far higher than many chemicals.

No, I haven't had ONE SINGLE chick born with deformities. Not even one cross-beak. I consistently get 80-90% hatch rates in a homemade incubator and 100% hatch rates under a broody hen. I consume garden veggies that have been treated with carbaryl after a three-day withholding period, and eggs immediately. I don't "think" when it's safe, I read the literature about withholding periods and KNOW when it's safe.

I didn't read your ehow link. Frankly, giving someone an ehow link is less intellectually rigorous than giving them a wikipedia page.

Quote:
WHOSE ego seems to be on the line here? WHO keeps posting pushing their point of view? I don't own stock in Sevin. I don't care what you use on your birds. Hang a crystal over them, do a chant. However, if a BYCer asks me what to do about mites, I'm going to continue to recommend either a pour-on cattle dewormer like Eprinex or Sevin dust. Because they work and do get rid of an active mite infestation. You may also continue to recommend what you will. Then the BYCer will make up their own minds. That's the beauty of free and open discourse. Of course, it's all a lot more free and open if we refrain from petty little insults.

This is another question, not a reply to anyone. I have bird mites in my house, the northern fowl mite. They're biting me and crawling on me. I've had some success with getting them off me so I can sleep at night, had the exterminator out, and removed the cause. What I am wondering is, is it safe for me to go to anyone's house while I am still treating my house and myself? Will I ever see my grandchildren and my 80-year-old mother again?
It took me awhile to figure out what the problem was - at first I thought it was lice, but not. So they've gained a good foot-hold, or claw-hold on my house and I don't want to take them to anyone else.
If you have these in your coops, can you still go to work? Can your kids go to school?

This is another question, not a reply to anyone. I have bird mites in my house, the northern fowl mite. They're biting me and crawling on me. I've had some success with getting them off me so I can sleep at night, had the exterminator out, and removed the cause. What I am wondering is, is it safe for me to go to anyone's house while I am still treating my house and myself? Will I ever see my grandchildren and my 80-year-old mother again?
It took me awhile to figure out what the problem was - at first I thought it was lice, but not. So they've gained a good foot-hold, or claw-hold on my house and I don't want to take them to anyone else.
If you have these in your coops, can you still go to work? Can your kids go to school?
Yikes. I had no idea that fowl mites could infest humans--I was under the impression they were pretty species-specific. Here's a fact sheet from a reliable source, the Illinois Department of Public Health: http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcmites.htm

As far as whether or not you can visit other people, I would call your local health department and talk to them. This is a public health issue, and BYC isn't really the right place to get advice. I know a lot of people who work for public health, and they are very sympathetic folks whose job it is to keep people healthy. I would personally call your local health department rather than the state, but either will work. Good luck!

Here! Please read this that I wrote!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/633453/dealing-with-bird-mites-my-home-my-hens-my-itchyness/20
please read my post #21

No worries! You can get rid of them- see what I did! They cannot reproduce on human blood.
http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/bird-mites

Quote:
The Northern Fowl mite and the red mite cannot reproduce on human blood. However, they can live 3 weeks and 9 months, respectively, without a poultry meal. So they can make a human miserable in their home during that time, as they do bite humans. Thus, vacuuming and removing clothes, showering, etc. is important as you are getting rid of the infestation, wherever that may be (birds' nest in eaves of house, chickens etc.). Exterminators may be necessary if it is a birds' nest causing the infestation and there are thousands of mites in a home. For your chickens, as I have found, just 3 or 4 Northern Fowl Mites are enough to keep me up all night long until I take a bath and they float up dead, change my sheets, and vacuum. THEN they are gone! So I keep my chickens FREE of these bugs at all times now unless they show up suddenly...then I treat right away. I can tell because I itch when it happens.

Also don't use pesticides for poultry inside the home. (Not that anyone was going to do this, but for those readers out there, I mentioned it.)

If your treatments don't seem to be working and you are using permethrin or another potent chemical, evaluate whether you have removed the nestbox material at treatment time AND retreatment time. If I don't remove ALL shavings they come right back.

Last edited:
Permethrin is deadly to bugs and completely harmless to humans and animals. It is made from the chrysamthmum flower. Any hoo....I use the wood ash method to dust my chickens. I'm still burning fire wood now and I scatter the ash in the run and they dust bath in it.

Last edited:
First off calm down -take a deep breath lol

Two things. First don't worry about them spreading to the new birds because you are going to quarantine those first anyway aren't you in case they spread something to yours :)

Now for the actual mites, annoying little things aren't they. We had them in our coop. You would collect the eggs and end up (if you looked real close) with them on your arms. I ended up just covered with itchy bites on my stomach and under the arms. Horrid things.

It was actually surprisingly easy to get rid of them. I found some recommendations from forums took them to my vet. She agreed and so this is what we did.

First we bought fido flea lice etc concentrate and used that to spray the coop and nesting box. Repeat after two weeks. Oh and just editing in as I'd forgotten till reading above that I also removed everything from their house before spraying. Hay from nesting boxes and wood shavings from the floor Everything got replaced and every wooden surface including perches got sprayed. I even threw some garden lime down before the new shavings for good measure.

As for the birds themselves we just applied some drops to the back of their necks just like you do when giving a dog flea treatment. I'd have to go find the bottle but if you search mites here you should find a thread recently where I found the name. We had to not use the eggs for two weeks.

Fixed it easy as pie.

From now on I just plan to give the coop a spay every month.

I also keep meaning to raid my parents pot belly stove for ash for them Can't hurt and sounds like the chooks enjoy it :)

Oh and my nesting box sticks out over a garden bed so I just planted some tansy directly below it. Is supposed to repel lice and mites. Also got some wormwood on order.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom