How to get rid of mites??? Please help me!!!!

Cool.

Just a reminder and please don;t take this the wrong way but bugs/insects, humans, chickens, pets and fish are all animals. One similarity between us all is our nervous system to varying degrees of complexity.

Permethrin is deadly to aquatic species and cats fyi. So when using please be careful and do not use if you are near water formations like a lake.

The big determining factor of the chemistry is that it tends to be active in cold blooded animals. SO I would guess amphibians and reptiles would also have issues with permethrin. Just think of those cute little baby box turtles crawling nearby and complunking dead on your property. Or don't.

To an earlier poster as a veteran infantryman and college graduate I take offense to the condescending statement about waving crystals and suggestion that I am partaking in getting high. Nothing wrong with the latter if that's your choice imo, but it's just not for me. I do not have a pick up truck farm. I have a farm. So maybe I have an advantage in that I can move my animals around to escape parasite build up. But I also have greater responsibilities as a steward of the land. I have ponds, creeks and fish and frogs and all sorts of animals that be all the way to bears. I love the fact there are so many frogs out here as that cuts down on the bug population that bother me at night. SO if I used these chemicals as a regular practice one day I am sure have an impact on them. I was also a combat medic in the army so I am proficient in medicine. DO know harm was a motto. This meant we always started with the least invasive method we could. Imagine if every time someone needed their airway open and we just criced them? Maybe all they needed must a simple chin tilt lift. Maybe just a little suction. I think relying on pesticides is like putting tq on a pt for a small cut on their arm.

Question.... I don't have mites or anything, but should I be taking preventative measures anyway? I mean I clean my coop out regularly but should I maybe sprinkle some sevin dust around after I clean it out?

Question.... I don't have mites or anything, but should I be taking preventative measures anyway? I mean I clean my coop out regularly but should I maybe sprinkle some sevin dust around after I clean it out?

If you're going to use a preventative, I'd choose the lowest toxicity option, not something covered in warning labels. Get some DE or put a little wood ash in their dusting area.

Yeah I'd agree on low toxcicity. I've been thinking since posting about head lice actually. Lots of lice treatments now days don't work and you have to try different chemicals to get a result because the head lice have built up immunities.

I'm thinking if I spray as a preventative that by the time I need it it may not work any more. The chook lice etc may build up immunities just like head lice have.

I'm not sure about the DE as I've read a zillion posts saying it hasn't worked for people. But I'm going with planting repelling plants and ash.

Last edited:
Just as I wouldn't prevent with a treatment method, I wouldn't treat with a preventative. DE has its uses but I think folks expect it to be a silver bullet and it isn't.

Just as I wouldn't prevent with a treatment method, I wouldn't treat with a preventative. DE has its uses but I think folks expect it to be a silver bullet and it isn't.
ok... So I want a preventative. What is good as a preventative only? I don't want to use something they could possibly build an immunity to. I also don't want to use strong chemicals unless I do get them and have to. So, as a preventative, what should I try? DE? Ash?

Oh no Chemicals! Wonder what you would do if you had lice or mites in your hair?

Well considering the carcinogenic properties of those chemical treatments you can buy over the counter and the fact they don't always work because nits are starting to build resistance to them (we used them once and was horrified by the potency of them when reading up on why it hadn't seemed to bother my sons nits) what we now do is simply comb them out with the conditioner method. Google it if really interested what you use without chemicals.

Unfortunately I've yet to find a way to use it on my chooks though lol
I have to say nothing I've ever bought and used for the chooks has smelt half as toxic chemical as the human lice treatment.

Last edited:
Is permethian safe for chicks? I have a possible case of mites and my husband is going to burn wood for me today but I am wondering if you can dip chicks and dry them to get rid of the mites asap.

To prevent mites and other pests I use a combination of DE ( diatomaceous earth FOOD GRADE ONLY) wood ash and dirt in a large box for them to dust bath in. So far seems to work. I also mix the DE into their feed often to prevent worms. There are many many benefits to feeding diatomaceous earth food grade. Worth a googling.

Back
Top Bottom