How to get rid of snakes.

chickyfuzz

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 6, 2013
Today I went to get my egg while my chicken was free ranging and there was a huge dugite there I was in shock. It escaped before my mum could shoot it how can I keep it away.

Last edited:
I assume you mean dugite, a poisonous snake in Australia.

Snakes are hard. They are hard to trap and hard to catch in the area. They will come at any time, day or night. They are not consistent when they come. If they feed, they may stay away a few days while they digest what they ate.

Some people claim success using minnow traps with eggs as bait. Sound like it could work if the minnow trap is sized right. Snakes can get through some pretty small holes so the openings would need to be pretty small, both the way in and the wire it’s build from.

Some people twist deer netting or bird netting and lay that in the path of the snake. They often approach and leave using the same trails. The snake is supposed to get tangled up in the netting and can’t get away. Haven’t tried it.

I have had a snake eat a golf ball I left in a nest. Some people say the snake can’t digest it and the fake egg plugs it us so it eventually dies. I’m not convinced that is actually true. Others have said they can regurgitate them. I’ve also had a snake eat real eggs out from under a broody and leave fake eggs. As I said, they are not consistent in a lot of things.

Snake are attracted to areas by food and shelter. They are possibly there after mice or rats, so if you can reduce the food source you may attract fewer snakes. Also clean up areas they can hide in; trash piles, brush, overgrown areas, things like that.

I don’t think you can totally eliminate snakes. They will always be around. But hopefully you can reduce their number some. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom