How to get the temperature in my homemade incubator constant?

Aug 18, 2020
South Africa
Hello there. I am currently trying to incubate 3 duck eggs in my homemade incubator but I am having problems trying to keep my temperature constant. I had it between 35 and 36 degrees Celsius for a while but now its dropping. What can I do to make the temprature constant?

I know how frustrating fluctuating incubator temps can be! If you've already described your incubator in another thread, a link would be helpful. So would photos. 🙂

A few questions that come to mind:
  • What's your incubator constructed from?
  • Where are you incubating (closed room, etc.)?
  • What kind of heater/thermostat are you using and do you have a fan in the unit?
  • Do you have more than one thermometer monitoring temps?

@FoodFreedomNow. My Incubator is made out of a small styrofoam/polystyrene box, (about 50cmx25cm and 30cm high) I’m incubating the eggs in my room, I’m using a heating mat as a heat source (not the best I know😓but incandescent lights with low wattage aren’t available where I live) I don’t have a fan, and I have one hydrometer in the incubator monitoring the heat. I would like to share pictures but my incubator looks pathetic as it was a last minute job. The duck eggs I picked up were a last minute rescue and so I didn’t have time to set up and run the incubator for a few days before placing the eggs in it. At the moment I’ve got the temperature between 38 degrees Celsius and 40 degrees Celsius and humidity between 50 and 60%. But please let me know how I can improve it!:hmm

I haven't built an incubator, myself, but I hatch eggs - frequently - and I think I understand some of the important functional aspects of an incubator. Without seeing your actual unit, I'll have to make suggestions based on assumption...but a heating mat is, as you already intimated, less than ideal for incubating. I get 'working with what you have', though. 🙂

I saw that in another post, you mentioned that you had a temperature spike of 50C (122F) with the eggs - which could be fatal to them. You already tried covering the unit with a blanket, which caused the temperature spike. If the incubator isn't already in a room that's not subject to drafts, I'd move it to one, as that may help limit temperature swings. Ultimately, though, it sounds like a more reliable heat source will be necessary to stabilize the temperature.

I haven't built an incubator, myself, but I hatch eggs - frequently - and I think I understand some of the important functional aspects of an incubator. Without seeing your actual unit, I'll have to make suggestions based on assumption...but a heating mat is, as you already intimated, less than ideal for incubating. I get 'working with what you have', though. 🙂

I saw that in another post, you mentioned that you had a temperature spike of 50C (122F) with the eggs - which could be fatal to them. You already tried covering the unit with a blanket, which caused the temperature spike. If the incubator isn't already in a room that's not subject to drafts, I'd move it to one, as that may help limit temperature swings. Ultimately, though, it sounds like a more reliable heat source will be necessary to stabilize the temperature.
Thank you I'll hunt for the right bulb tomorrow. Do you think the eggs have died? They were only 1 day into incubation when the spike happened. I don't want to interfere and candle them until atleast day 4 or 5. Also, any suggestions on what light bulbs I can use? Thanks!🙂

Back
Top Bottom