How to give them oyster shell

BellaBokBok

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
Australia
I'm looking into getting my girls some oyster shell in a few short weeks, and I'm wondering on how to give it to them
People have said mix it into their food, or put it in a bowl and they'll take what they need
But I'm not sure if I should mix it in the food because I've heard that can be bad for them and well I think if it's in a separate bowl they'll eat it all anyway, they eat everything the can so I don't think they'd consider if they need the calcium, they'd just eat it mindlessly
Help :/

I give it to them free choice (in a bowl) the ones that need it eat it and the ones that don't don't. i have not had any trouble with them mindlessly eating the oyster shell.

I have a cinder brick the kind with the 2 square holes. I just lay the brick on its side, in one hole I put grit and the other hole I put oyster shell. Seems to work, I fill it up every few weeks. It does not tip over. Just make sure wherever you place it thats where you want to keep it.

Last edited:
I have a cinder brick the kind with the 2 square holes. I just lay the brick on its side, in one hole I put grit and the other hole I put oyster shell. Seems to work, I fill it up every few weeks. It does not tip over. Just make sure wherever you place it thats where you want to keep it.

That is a VERY good idea!
Is the block sitting on anything or just on the ground?
Thank you!

My gal's aren't big fans of oyster shell, they much prefer their own eggshells after drying and crushing. I've always given it as I would scratch. They think they're getting a treat and it gives them something to do for a while.

I'm looking into getting my girls some oyster shell in a few short weeks, and I'm wondering on how to give it to them
People have said mix it into their food, or put it in a bowl and they'll take what they need
But I'm not sure if I should mix it in the food because I've heard that can be bad for them and well I think if it's in a separate bowl they'll eat it all anyway, they eat everything the can so I don't think they'd consider if they need the calcium, they'd just eat it mindlessly
Help :/
Hi Bella,

As has been mentioned above only the ones who need extra calcium will eat it. Here is a feeder I made and I use it for the oyster shell. I have it mounted to an interior wall in my barn.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...p-wood-multi-purpose-feeder-plus-instructions

Since I have mixed the older babies with the adults the adults are eating the organic grower feed instead of their layer food. The only difference I can see in the feed is 2% more protein and less calcium (in the grower). I put grit and oyster shell outside now for them as they are ignoring their indoor food and grit cup. My concern is that the adults are not getting enough calcium and of course do not want the babies to eat the oyster shell. Do babies know not to eat it?

Back
Top Bottom