How to hatch in in cartons with the sides cut?

dsowens15

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Winchester, TN
How do you hatch in cartons? Pictures will be great help. I need the best hatch rates I can get with my homemade bator.
Thanks for any and all help.

I cut the hinged top off the carton, then cut holes in each egg cup so that air can circulate.
I don't currently have a photo of our setup, but this time we used one of the big flats.

I just hatched, in two batches, 28 chicks and I used the egg flats and didn't cut any holes in'em. The first batch I laid the eggs on their sides. The second batch I sat them up. Wasn't a problem for the chicks in either batch.

I cut the lid off, the bottoms of each cup out, and cut the rows into two "L" shapes (2 cups by 5 cups). I set them up along the perimeter of my incubator so there is a "dance floor" in the center and chicks don't have to climb over anything to get out of the carton. I have my eggs upright and it seems to work very well.

And yes, I like to do things in the most odd and complicated way possible!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
Early on it helps keep the air cell to the top (wide end), but during hatching I like it because it makes it harder for the other chicks to play futbol with their sisters.

Back
Top Bottom