How to help a weak chick??

CHICKENQUEEN123

Chirping
Jul 16, 2023
Hi I need help. I have a chick that hatched in the incubator on Saturday and a chick that hatched on Sunday, the first chick is not doing well, her feathers aren't growing properly, she's smaller the the other one, she does move a bit, but not alot, she will not eat unless it's forced unlike the other chick

This is chick 1
20230717_171458.jpg

20230717_171516.jpg
this is chick 2
We also tried feeding her raw egg but I'm not sure if it has been working

Try hard boiling an egg, and then crumbling the yolk up for it.
Is it staying warm enough? If it is weak it will find it hard to regulate its body temp.
I'm no expert, and at this time of day I think it is night over in the US where most of the knowledgably people are.

Try hard boiling an egg, and then crumbling the yolk up for it.
Is it staying warm enough? If it is weak it will find it hard to regulate its body temp.
I'm no expert, and at this time of day I think it is night over in the US where most of the knowledgably people are.
Yeh we are using a feed of 50%boiled egg and 50%oats for the feed but rn she's been feeded egg yolk through a syringe. And yeh she is staying warm enough, thanks though 😁
It might just be my wishful thinking but I think she is getting a little better but I'm not sure

Yeh we are using a feed of 50%boiled egg and 50%oats for the feed but rn she's been feeded egg yolk through a syringe. And yeh she is staying warm enough, thanks though 😁
It might just be my wishful thinking but I think she is getting a little better but I'm not sure
I would swap the oats for a good quality chick starter.
You will be lacking a few minerals and vitamins if thats all you feed, and that might not be helping.
Also, how fine are the oats? If they are not milled, the chicks will need grit to be able to digest them.
I hope she gets better!

I would swap the oats for a good quality chick starter.
You will be lacking a few minerals and vitamins if thats all you feed, and that might not be helping.
Also, how fine are the oats? If they are not milled, the chicks will need grit to be able to digest them.
I hope she gets better!
That's true but there is no chick starter around to buy where I live and on a few websites it said to use oats and boiled eggs. And yeh I grinded them up very small in a little machine, my healthy chick has been eating it just fine

That's true but there is no chick starter around to buy where I live and on a few websites it said to use oats and boiled eggs. And yeh I grinded them up very small in a little machine, my healthy chick has been eating it just fine
Any grower for sale around you? That is not much different to starter.
The thing with oats and eggs is that it is quite a good base diet, and if they were with a broody hen that catches them bugs to eat they would do fine on it.
But when we raise chicks ourselves, it is a lot harder to make sure they are getting all they need.
But just do the best you can, and it sounds like you are taking good care of them :)

Any grower for sale around you? That is not much different to starter.
The thing with oats and eggs is that it is quite a good base diet, and if they were with a broody hen that catches them bugs to eat they would do fine on it.
But when we raise chicks ourselves, it is a lot harder to make sure they are getting all they need.
But just do the best you can, and it sounds like you are taking good care of them :)
I'll look into it and tysmmm🥰

Where about do you live? I'll find you food.

Back
Top Bottom