How to help adult Guinea get used to new home

We have lost many to predators as well. Our biggest issue: raccoons. We have fox and coyote as well. It’s a constant battle as our guineas free range in the summer and even though most come home at night to roost in the pen/hutches, there are the few that set up home in the surrounding high grasses. We have @50 acres and they do roam in @20 of it. We did have a period of time when the acres apparently got boring and they headed down the road to the neighbors and it was difficult to get them back. Big lesson learned there. The success came when we realized they are a flock and won’t stray far from each other. So when I let them out to roam I only let 3/4 of flock out. The 1/4 that remains chatter all day and pace back and forth but we don’t have close neighbors so noise not an issue. Result is the 3/4 don’t leave our land anymore. They stay in the surrounding area to be close to the others. Basically who ever gets to the open door first gets out for the day. It rotates and I rotate which door I open first. Introducing babies to adults: I keep brooders and keets separate from the main flock but they can see each other. I carefully begin to mix one or 2 at a time when they are “teens” and can defend themselves if needed. Our pens are Fort Knox with hardware mesh making it impossible for predators to get in or reach in. Windows are also covered in predator proof wire externally so the hutches can be vented in hot weather without little predator paws being able to reach in and grab someone. It takes a constant watchful eye to keep everyone safe and comfortable. I do enjoy them though. For some reason they entertain me and have become a hobby I can’t part from yet.

Back
Top Bottom