How to help molting hens gain weight

ljkraemer

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
What’s the best way to help hens gain weight? I have 6 girls, all 19 months old. 5 of the 6 are molting, some 3-4 weeks in and some just starting. I haven’t weighed all the birds, but I know they are thin (can feel their breastbone very easily) and the ones I’ve weighed are down about 3-400 grams from a summer weight. All of the birds who are molting have stopped laying eggs. (I do not keep a light on them to keep them laying, even if they weren’t molting.) I’ve switched to feather fixer feed, that they have access to during daylight (715am-630pm is when they’re out of the coop). They get a treat of dried mealworms every day, about 1 cup for all 6 of them. They get fresh vegetable treats often throughout the week (squash, cucumber, chard). Scratch grains are thrown in their run every couple of days. We are able to let them out to free range most days, for about 30-60 minutes.

So, do I do more meal worms? More scratch grains? What else can I give them to plump them up? Or…do I just let them do their thing, continue doing what I’ve been doing, and it’ll all work out? Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Pic from last week, just for fun 🙂

Attachments

• 7895F866-2EFD-477D-B3D8-6863C98507CE.jpeg
    7895F866-2EFD-477D-B3D8-6863C98507CE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
IMO you are feeding too many treats. Which will plump them up but not in a good way. A cup of mealworms daily, in addition to the veggies (is that the normal size pile of veggies, shown in the picture?), doesn't leave much room for their real food. When I feed mealworms (maybe once every month), it's less than 1\4 cup for 9 chickens. I do feed veggie scraps, but it's like peels from one cucumber and a bell pepper top/seeds every other day.

I prefer Flock Raiser as it's a higher protein feed. Grit and oyster shell are on the side and always available.

IMO you are feeding too many treats. Which will plump them up but not in a good way. A cup of mealworms daily, in addition to the veggies (is that the normal size pile of veggies, shown in the picture?), doesn't leave much room for their real food. When I feed mealworms (maybe once every month), it's less than 1\4 cup for 9 chickens. I do feed veggie scraps, but it's like peels from one cucumber and a bell pepper top/seeds every other day.

I prefer Flock Raiser as it's a higher protein feed. Grit and oyster shell are on the side and always available.
Thanks for the reply! To answer your question, no, that is not a normal pile of treats. It was the result of carving 3 pumpkins and I just set it out for them to see peck at. They stayed at that bowl for less than a minute before moving on. I will do a half of butternut squash one day and the other half a day or two later. In the summer it’s a lot more like cut in half cucumber or some remnants of watermelon ends. They get a vegetable/fruit treat one-two days a week. I’d say the meal worms are mostly daily. I normally feed them dumor organic layer pellets (16%) but researched feed for molting and just switched to nutrena naturewise feather fixer that has 18% protein. That switch was just 3 days ago.

They’re definitely smaller birds to begin with (our Polish is definitely a mini!!) and I know molting makes them look so much smaller than you’re used to! Which is why I weighed some and noticed that discrepancy from regular summer weight. Since I can feel their breast bone so easily, that’s what got me started thinking they might need some help gaining weight!

I’d say the meal worms are mostly daily. I normally feed them dumor organic layer pellets (16%) but researched feed for molting and just switched to nutrena naturewise feather fixer that has 18% protein. That switch was just 3 days ago.
Check the label on the feather fixer, it may still have 3-4% calcium which is intended for active layers. You'd be better off switching to a 18-20% protein all flock, flock raiser or grower instead for this period, and cutting out all those mealworms which are higher in fat.

I mix in some 30% protein gamebird starter to boost the protein for birds that look ragged or thin. As an example: 1 part 30% P Starter + 3 parts 15% P Triple Duty = 5 parts 19% P mixture. Triple Duty is the only all-flock type feed they sell near me. The birds need protein to build feathers and/or muscle.

Back
Top Bottom