How to help my hen sick from having eaten molded apple ?

Mrs Wick

Songster
Feb 18, 2019
Europe
My giant beautiful Sussex hen is sick, she doesn't move (I picked her up easily), eat or drink.
Yesterday they were all eating a big molded apple.
The time I realised there was nothing left, not a single seed.
I think she has eaten a lot, as she is big and dominant.
Today she's lethargic. What should I give her to help ?

I'm so sorry she's sick. Prayers she will recover quickly. Is there a possibility she has cyanide poisoning from the apple seeds? I don't know what the remedy is for that, but hopefully she will be able to recover, since she is still with us. If someone knows what to do, hopefully, they will post it here. I can see where I might feed mine older apples also.

Just found this article that pertains to this. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/can-chickens-eat-apples-all-you-need-to-know.77025/

Last edited:
I'm not sure there's much you can do if it was eating the apple, except hope she gets better and make sure she is safe in the flock (i.e they're not picking on her).
Could it be some other thing wrong with her and the apple is just coincidence?
My chickens eat large amounts of apples (more than 1 entire apple per chicken per day sometimes, although they usually don't eat quite that much). They've never had any issues from this level of consumption, and they eat them rotting as well. I work in commercial apple orchards and get apples free, and there is also a commercial orchard right behind my house.

I'm sorry to hear your hen isn't feeling well.
I had something similar happen to one of my hens. She was digging in moldy hay one afternoon, and she was very lethargic the next morning. I had to encourage her to come out of the coop. When she was out of the coop she just stood in one place or roosted with a down-turned tail. I offered her small bits of scrambled egg, sunflower seeds and used a syringe to put small amounts of water on the side of her beak to encourage her to drink.

She was like this for a few days but eventually recovered. So maybe you can isolate your hen and give her extra attention? Make sure she is at least getting a little water and food. You can also try making a mash out of her feed by mixing it with a bit of water. I like to do this for the ladies when they are off because it gives them water and food simultaneously.

Also, consider the apple could have been a coincidence. Could she have an impacted crop or maybe egg binding?

Back
Top Bottom