How to identify chicks

YaYa27889

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2016
Eastern NC
I am a "new" BYC owner. I had chickens when I was a teenager, many, many years ago. I decided, in my old age, I needed chickens in my life again. My decision was not about eggs. I just wanted to have fun with my chicks and I wanted something unusual. The problem was I could not decide which chickens I wanted I went to My Pet Chicken and found what I thought I was looking for, a collection of Rare Breed Chickens. I ordered those and they arrived healthy and noisy, lol. They have all settled into the brooder and are eating and drinking well.
The problem I have is that I ordered these thinking I would get a list of which chicks were being shipped. Unfortunately that did not happen. I returned to the website and read a bit more closely and it plainly stated that the selection was determined by what had hatched and availability. I have 15 chicks and have no idea what breed they are. When looking at them I can plainly see there are 6 different breeds. It is difficult for me to simply look at a chick and determine what breed it is. My question is can someone tell me the approximate age of a chick when you can determine the breed?

In my experience, some you can tell by color right away. Others within a couple weeks and yet others, maybe months. Lol. I suggest posting a few photos and let the experts have a peck :)

Last edited:

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom